Scan Probe with CNC Shark HD 4

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tbro

Scan Probe with CNC Shark HD 4

Post by tbro »

Does anyone know how to run the digitizer function of the HD4 with the ruby tipped scan probe?

The main reason I bought a Shark instead of a duplicarver was the ability to scan and duplicate parts.

Fresh out of the box, none of the accessories seemed to work with the machine. Touch probe, scan probe, scan plate all malfunctioning.

Sent the controller box and accessories back to NWA at their request. They spent 2 months upgrading the firmware and working through all the various bugs.

I was told that all 3 accessories had defective parts, and after extensive testing, everything was now working and shipped back to me.

Upon receiving the box back, I still can't get the scan probe to work properly.

When I attempt to run the digitizer, it simply plunges straight down into the object being scanned, bending the needle in half. I have one more ruby tipped replacement needle.

I left a message with NWA about a week ago requesting technical assistance, but have not heard back from anyone.

There is virtually no instructional info to be found anywhere. The 'manuals' that are available online contain very little specific detail and read like they were translated into English from another language. And much of it doesn't apply to the HD4 specifically.

I notice that NWA and Rockler no longer sell the scan probe on their websites, but NWA offers a $75 repair.

My scan probe came back with a free $150 repair, but still doesn't seem to function with my particular machine.

Is there anyone that can help?

TAW

Re: Scan Probe with CNC Shark HD 4

Post by TAW »

Can't help you here.
But I was very close to ordering scan probe when I got my slime line hd3. PASSED as I could not see much info or reviews on it. I was hoping to still get one BUT sounds like I need to wait longer yet. It would be a great asset to go with the machine with great potential.......
Have to wait I guess.
I would return probe they have sold you and keep your money till they have a working probe. JMO

tbro

Post by tbro »

There is a scan probe manual for previous shark machines, but the HD4 is different.

Dave at Rockler said that NWA has hired more people and is re-writing the manuals.

In the meantime, I've figured out that the probe has to be plugged into the Pendant, and Not the controller!

Plugging directly into the controller as per previous shark models causes the probe to not sense objects and crash into them.

So it's working now, but it seems like the probe is not very sensitive. It bears down pretty hard against the object being scanned.

Hard enough that the little ruby tip leaves pock mark depressions in soft woods like spruce. I wish there were a way to adjust the pressure.

Experimenting with changing the probe tip to something more blunt like the center finder probe has.

tbro

Post by tbro »

Removed the delicate ruby probe tip and replaced it with a screw of the same thread type.

Ground the screw head down to a nice smooth ball and it seems to work fine without leaving dents in the wood.

The next problem I'm having is how in the world to open DNW files? DIG_0000.DNW

Neither Cut3D nor Aspire can open these files. Can't seem to find any program that handles DNW in fact.

I've tried renaming the extension to numerous others with no luck.

"Help how to open DNW files:
This file type is not meant to be opened directly, there is no software that could open and work with it directly, or there is no information available in public sources about opening this file type. This is usually the case of some internal data files, caches, temporary files etc.
How to convert file with extension DNW:
As far as we know, this .dnw file type can't be converted to any other file format. This is usually the case of system, configuration, temporary, or data files containing data exclusive to only one software and used for its own purposes.
Also some proprietary or closed file formats cannot be converted to more common file types in order to protect the intellectual property of the developer, which is for example the case of some DRM-protected multimedia files."

Why would Next Wave choose a filetype that is completely unusable?

tbro

Post by tbro »

Ok, with much back and forth trial and error, and talking with tech support, I've managed to convert the DNW scan files to STL using the CNC Shark 3.0 control panel.

The control panel software additionally has to be registered in order to unlock the conversion feature, which involved taking the cnc machine apart in order to remove the controller and connect it to a pc.

Now the problem I'm having is that Vectric software can't open the converted STL files. Tried Aspire, VCarve, and Cut3D. They all say "Error, Import Failed, failed to load component data from file, check file contains model."

I can see that the scan probe worked and that there is a 3D model inside the file, because when I load the converted stl into the CNC control panel v3.02 build 14 3D viewer, it shows a nice looking 3D scan.

But the converted STL files don't seem to import into any Vectric software.

Can anyone help?

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Try going onto the Vetric forum!
Those people over there seem to have a wealth of knowledge.
Try Google and type in importing a STL file into Vcarve. Looks like alot of help there.

tbro

Post by tbro »

I scoured google and this whole forum first before posting. All online resources simply say, "Create new file, File > Import 3D Model > select stl file." Couldn't be simpler, right? Same error in all 3 Vectric programs. Seems the Shark control panel is encoding the STL files in some kind of proprietary format.

Registered on the Vectric forum a couple days ago. Admin must be on holiday, still waiting for approval to ask a question.

Been battling the Shark since October, one issue after another. If only there were detailed manuals available.

tbro

Post by tbro »

Update: Finally got it working with the help of Next Wave support.

Apparently the control panel software was released without actually testing whether it works or not. Same as with almost everything HD4 accessory related.

Don't download the latest CNC control panel v3.02 build 14. Here is the one that works: http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... 0_beta.exe

I know I'm just talking to myself here, but maybe this thread will show up in a search result for someone else some time down the road.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Hooray! Thanks, tbro. Next up will be whether the resulting STL file is manifold and smooth enough to use. ;-) The ones I've gotten before have been manifold (inside and outside mathematically unequivocally determinable), but very "spiky". They ended up working for for what I needed. Am interested to hear how yours come out....

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Bob

Post by Bob »

tbro wrote:Update: Finally got it working with the help of Next Wave support.

Apparently the control panel software was released without actually testing whether it works or not. Same as with almost everything HD4 accessory related.

Don't download the latest CNC control panel v3.02 build 14. Here is the one that works: http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... 0_beta.exe

I know I'm just talking to myself here, but maybe this thread will show up in a search result for someone else some time down the road.

tbro,
Nope, you're not talking to yourself. There are 212 who have looked so far...and counting. All information posted, has value. Keep on posting.
Thank you,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)