using the VCarve engraver program

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wood doctor 12

using the VCarve engraver program

Post by wood doctor 12 »

Has enyone used the engraver program in VCarve? Where do you find the diamond engraving tools?

I would like to engrave a logo into stainless steel. I am not sure where to buy the diamond engraver they list.

Is the shark capable of engraving on steel?

Rando

Re: using the VCarve engraver program

Post by Rando »

There are many vendors of "diamond drag engraving bit" on eBay, as with this search:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... t&_sacat=0

You want the spring-loading, and they typically come in wider angles of 60-120 degrees, versus the much smaller spinning engraving bits that come with 1 or 2 flutes. The cream-of-the-crop in those ones are from these people:

https://www.2linc.com/spring_loaded_engraving_tool.htm

But there are less-expensive options for those too. I have a kit like the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-E-T-is-a-comp ... SwNyFWefan

It works well, but like everything, there are compromises.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Thom, the FET system look rather intriguing. It seems to use the angled bits rather than drag bits, so they require the spindle to be on.

I have a couple of the angled bits it uses that I've been intending to use to create circuit board PCBs. I have yet to actually try it out, but the FET system would actually make those easier as well since you'd be less worried about any unevenness.

Do they work on surfaces like glass? I may have to add these to my wish list. I notice the system is $10 cheaper if you buy it direct rather than from eBay. Considering eBays fees lately, that makes sense.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Kayvon wrote:Thom, the FET system look rather intriguing. It seems to use the angled bits rather than drag bits, so they require the spindle to be on.

I have a couple of the angled bits it uses that I've been intending to use to create circuit board PCBs. I have yet to actually try it out, but the FET system would actually make those easier as well since you'd be less worried about any unevenness.

Do they work on surfaces like glass? I may have to add these to my wish list. I notice the system is $10 cheaper if you buy it direct rather than from eBay. Considering eBays fees lately, that makes sense.
Well, like I said, they all have compromises. Yes, the spring-loading does help with uneven surfaces. However....when you go and try to buy those "split blank" style engraving bits, which are often cheaper in double-ended bits, well that double-ended thing won't work, so you can only use single-ended bits. Then, be careful when you DO get them. I got a set of like 40 single-ended 30-degree bits that claimed an 0.004" tip. The only problem is that although the very tip was indeed 0.004", it was NOT 30 degrees right at that tip. Rather, they are closer to 120 degrees right at the tip. Which means that your engraving depth has to be so precise to get accurate cut widths that you're then STILL faced with the uneven height problem. I got it to work for the couple boards I was trying to produce, but it was not easy. So, make sure the bits are a TRUE 30-degrees all the way to the tip, and it will work well.

As far as glass goes, honestly I couldn't tell you. I haven't tried it, so am not familiar with what it takes to do that.

Beyond that, they work quite well. I use it on a glass bead-blasted aluminum surface, to cut about 0.0025" deep, just slightly through to the raw shiny metal. Works great, and really it just requires the same amount of precision you're using for the rest of the piece. In my case, it's aluminum and I want it +/- a few thousandths, so that accuracy matters. But, on wood, or just dragged across the surface of sheet metal, that need is much lower, it just needs to not "miss" on cutting the pattern.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)