help with HD4 shark

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rando

Re: help with HD4 shark

Post by Rando »

cjablonski wrote:Based simply on operations alone and a bit of perception and experience I would think the fire was outside the router towards the lower right side facing the machine. It would seem somewhat unlikely to have started within the router itself as the motors fan blows air downward through the router while in operation at anywhere between 8-24 thousand rpm. With that rpm and CFM of movement it would've extinguished a small ember from its ignition point or moved the source away from the center of the router motor. Somethings I wonder.

...[snip]...

Inquiring minds need to know :)
I was basing that conjecture on now really knowing the time frame, or order in which things happened. If his router was really sucking in dust from the top, and it was overheating at the end of the job, it's feasible a fire could start inside the router, since it wouldn't be on at that time...without knowing how long the victim slept in bed with the cigarette smouldering....;-) But, you are completely correct in that normal downdraft from the router should keep it from happening....

And yes, we're all ears!

Bob over at CNCCookbooks has a blog on CNC fires...and you guessed it, first bit of advice: don't leave the machine alone :D.

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2014/11/19/ ... uter-fire/

Cheers!

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I don't think hunter62 really wants to talk about this anymore. I am sure he is trying to work it out with Next Wave.
Not sure what NW would be willing to do once they see the pictures. Wonder what was actually being cut to start a fire.

hunter62

Post by hunter62 »

yes used fire exstinguisher they did send me another mount for router need to get another router still

Rando

Post by Rando »

Yay! we were all hanging, waiting to find out...a fire in a warehouse at work, with sprinklers in the ceiling is one thing...a fire in the garage attached to the house where we LIVE, well that's just a little too close to home for me :D. Glad you were able to keep the damage contained, hunter62.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Rando- love the cigarette adage!
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

Rando

Post by Rando »

Teehee...what!?!!?!

Allusion, yes. Adage, no. Close to home in the sense that I'd just as soon the attached garage didn't catch fire, not that I've experienced such a thing. I don't smoke, and never once had a fire I didn't intentionally set. Whether I maybe SHOULD have set each and every one, well THAT would be an adage. One I'll lay that at the feet of youthful indiscretion. ;-)

Being one of those electronics types, I'm very careful about where heat gets made and where it goes. Wires are my friends :D.

Fingers crossed for continued safety, or at least to keep them in my pockets and not next to the spinning bits.

Cheers!

Thom