HD4 Touch plate

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jaces

HD4 Touch plate

Post by jaces »

I'm new to cnc machines and I am using the pendant on the HD4 to run the machine till I get a dedicated computer to use with it. The issue I have with the touch plate is between changing bits, say I start with a V bit and use the touch plate to find Z zero and cut out some letters when finished it goes back to center I change to a tapered ball nose for finer detail then use the touch plate to find Z zero again. now all three axis are good for zero but when I move the machine back to 0,0,0 which is bottom right corner it drives the bit down roughly.375 past Z zero which destroys the corner of my work piece. Just looking for any insight from anyone that has a HD4 using the pendant to control, and the process they use for finding Z zero with the touch plate. With my inexperience I could be doing it wrong.
Thanks in advance for any help.

SteveM

Re: HD4 Touch plate

Post by SteveM »

jaces:
Are you resetting zero after you change bits and are you connecting the touch plate cord into the control box or the pendant?
The touch plate should plug into the control box and you shouldn't reset X or Y again, just zero the bit.
As for using the computer, look through the forum! Most have been having problems with the HD4 when connected to a computer.
The machine was really made to be used with the pendant.

jaces

Post by jaces »

I believe I am resetting the Z zero correctly because it zeros out perfect on the first bit I use every time. But I would like to make sure that I am using the appropriate app on the pendant should I be using the touch plate calibration ( which is what I have been doing) or should I be using virtual zero app on the pendant. As far as x,y I do not reset those, I will try and take some pictures and post what my machine is doing. So far this is the only issue I have ran into so far but as a beginner I have a lot to learn about all the operations.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

That is correct. Virtual zero is for mapping the work piece, not setting zero.
On the HD4, you actually use the pendant for everything. So setting zero with the pendant is the proper way.
The touch plate calibration correct.

Don't worry, we were all beginners at one time! I continue to make scrap all the time.
You could also just give tech support a call. They can probably talk you thru it while you're on the phone with them.

When I had my HD4, I was on the phone with them all the time. I usually never was on hold for more than 5 min or so, and they will return your call.
Don't bother with emails, unless you want to wait a few days.

Dan S

Post by Dan S »

Hi HD4 Owners,
I am also having trouble with the zero plate but only when using the Pendant. Twice it has buried the bit into the plate before I could hit the STOP button. I have had no issues when using the control panel on my pc, It will zero out each time. I have a Shark Pro since 2010 and the only problem I found with it was the unit was not rigid and unless I made very light cuts it might often be uneven cuts. SO I recently upgraded to the HD4 thinking that would solve all my issues. Everything I read seem to say you could use the control panel or the Pendant. I now find the control panel has less functions then my old 1.6 control panel and I get no response from factory as to if they will upgrade it to match the 2.0 panel. The 3.0 panel has no FRO control and jog functions speeds medium and slow speeds are the same, so no slow speed at all unless you jog in increments of thousands. I am finding that having to change file names to fit the Pendant very slow process and jogging by inputting numbers is not very user friendly. Adding a file each time you change something and back and forth with USB stick is also not smooth process. I wonder if anyone else is wishing that the control panel was equal to the Pendant in operation. I'm hoping I did not make a 5 thousand dollar mistake.
Dan

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Dan S:
You can adjust the speed of the Z axis while running the Z zero function and you should have the touch plate cable plugged into the control box and not in the pendant.
That should solve some of the problems you are having.
Once you slow down the Z axis, it won't slam into the plate anymore. Factory setup is to fast.

Rando

Post by Rando »

So, what then is the purpose of the 1/8" jack that's on the pendant? Is that used with the scan probe? Is it used ever?

Inquiring minds want to know, because it sure seems a LOT of people are plugging that plate in the wrong place.... :|

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I can't answer why the jack isn't used on the pendant. All I know is when you plug the touch plate cable into the jack on the pendant, it doesn't work.
I called tech support some time ago and they said to just plug the cable in the control box and not the pendant. It's the same thing with why they tell you to just use the pendant and not the software and a computer with the HD4.
They provide the software and then say don't use it! I really don't get it.
When I had the HD4, it really didn't bother me that I could only use the pendant. That is what I wanted in the first place.
I just had to many mechanical and controller problems which made me return the machine and buy something else.

Dan S

Post by Dan S »

Thanks Steve M
I thank you for your help on Z speed it was set at 10 I changed it to 5 and I will see how that works for me. I do have the plate plugged into the main box and not the Pendant. I still find using the control panel a lot easier for me after using it for many years with my Shark Pro. I greatly miss the feed rate speed control, and find that medium and slow are the same speeds in the control panel, so jogging to zero at a corner is not easy as it could be, and I see no way to change that. I always use a offset block at the corner of my projects because I don't always complete a project in one setting and I find it easy to get back to the same place when using a dedicated home block. The Pendant has a way to go to be friendly to use with limited file names digits. I have many G code files that I now have to changes names, and the constant loading and moving USB stick from computer to Pendant is not a quick process. My hope is that they will update to control panel, or I believe I will have a decision to make about what I thought would be an upgrade. So far they have been fairly prompt with emails but have not solved all the issues I have.
Thanks for your help
Dan

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

They have had software issues with the HD4 and that is why they told me to only use the pendant for running the machine.
I now have a Axiom and it also is pendant controlled, but it only runs with a pendant and it does much more than the Shark pendant.
There is no software issues to worry about either.