Yet to puchase a shark ,but have a Question

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rich

Re: Yet to puchase a shark ,but have a Question

Post by Rich »

Thanks for your suggestions. I can see how a tapered edge can work. As for wanting to scroll saw...I already do. I'm looking to expand the fun.These are a couple of small projects I made on my scroll saw.
Attachments
Hawks.jpg
TomAndJerry.jpg

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Rich,
Nice job!
How about this?:
The picture
The picture
cutout
cutout
This is how it would look using a 22 degree v bit, and cutout with a .25 end mill.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Rich

Post by Rich »

Nice! I suppose with a few small differences it can still work. Can you tell me how small of a diameter an end mill bit can be used? Is it down to the size of your collet on the router? The smaller the diameter...the tight the inside angle(at a very slow speed) I suppose.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rich
I've used the bits designed for dental work. For this application they are very fragile though. There are sleeves that fit into the collet that reduce the diameter to 1/8" and 3/16". I also use a 1/4" shank bit with a 1/16" cutting end. If you plan on cutting through anything thicker than 1/16-1/8" I think you should stick with a larger diameter bit...1/8-1/4" cutting diameter. You are also limited to the depth you can cut by the length of the cutting section of the bit. I tend to stay with 1/4" for cutouts because I can go deep enough with it.
Bob
"Focus"

Rich

Post by Rich »

These were all made with my srcoll saw. The red white and blue eagle would be hard to duplicate with the cnc unless I used a bit that was maybe 1/16" diameter. I cut it out of 1/4' oak. The Money eyes could probably be duplicated...cut out of 3/4" MDF with no zero degree inside angles. The stained eagle was made using individual pieces and glued to a hardwood backer board. That one could most definitely be made with cnc router because they are all outside cuts.
Attachments
100_2685.jpg
100_2701.jpg
100_2694.jpg

Rich

Post by Rich »

Bob,
Thanks for great conversation. I appreciate the tips. I'm new to the cnc world. I will most likely be purchasing one in the near future though. I always like doing my homework prior to what I consider a major a purchase.
Rich

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rich,
Nice work on the scroll saw. It looks like you know your way around it!
When you're ready to branch out in another direction, the Shark will also give you more areas to explore.
Some of the things you can do with cnc are comparable to scroll saw work:
This project was designed for the scroll saw. I converted it to a cnc project.
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16
And, some are not even close to what a scroll saw can do.
Either way, the important thing is to keep on having fun making sawdust!
Bob
"Focus"