Yet to puchase a shark ,but have a Question

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rich

Yet to puchase a shark ,but have a Question

Post by Rich »

I've yet to purchase a Shark, but very close. Is it possible to glue a photo(a child playing baseball) to wood, let's say 3/4" pine and have the Shark cut around just the perimeter of the child? Has anyone out there attempted this or am I just wishful thinking? The finished product would look as if it were cut using a scroll saw. Thanks in advance for your replies.

rapiddawg

Re: Yet to puchase a shark ,but have a Question

Post by rapiddawg »

Yes with the Vcarve software you get with the Shark that can be done. You can not only cut around the picture, but you can put the picture in the wood as well.

Bob

Post by Bob »

How about this link?
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=542
It may help as well.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Rich,

In essence, you're using a router with a given bit to cut into material. So, any work flow or process that you know or read you could do with a router or engraver or roto-tool with cutter bit almost certainly can be done using a CNC machine. I haven't tried a picture as you describe, but have made cuts with masking material on the wood (as have many others) and the outcome is as expected. I agree with the dawg - it'll work.

As the other 2 posts indicate - the additional really cool thing is that you can use the Shark and the software to actually "cut the picture" into the wood vice gluing an existing picture to wood and cutting that out (not that there's anything wrong or less appealing about that).

Rich

Post by Rich »

So correct me if I'm wrong...When it comes to cutting out a perimeter in a tight corner such as a right angle it is only possible to cut that right angle as a "rounded" right angle down to the size of the bit that you are using. In conclusion then it is not possible to cut out around the perimeter a photo glued to the wood because the tight inside cuts would be rounded.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

That's true, but I don't know why that would be an obstacle or unappealing. I've attached a preview of a 4x6" cutout. I used a 1/16" end mill as the final profile cut to minimize "roundness" in the corner.
4x6 Picture Cut Out Using a 1/16" End Mill
4x6 Picture Cut Out Using a 1/16" End Mill
And your original post mentioned cutting out around the child in the photo (as you might using a scroll saw). Again, this is something the CNC machine would do quite well.

Rich

Post by Rich »

I do understand the example of the frame you posted but that is comparing apples and oranges. In order to cut out the child in the photo you have to be able to cut into tight corners and come to a point with the cut in order to get the effect of the cutout. The router is still only going to cut an inside cut to the size of the bit. A scroll saw blade will cut to a point. I guess I'm just looking for the cnc router to do all the cutting for me to save some time and labor if it were possible. I just don't see how a bit can accomplish that. When I get a chance...I will post an example of a cut that I don't think a cnc router can cut. Thanks for everyone's interest in this post.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Sounds like you want to use a scroll saw - and you know it. Any CNC router/spindle device is going to have a bit in it, and won't cut exactly square. And how you decide to cut is also in the eye of the designer. You want tight corners, this is not the tool for you.

I've worked with several folks who had scroll saw patterns, ran into these kinds of challenges - different tool, different outcome, need to modify the design. Most made minor mods to their design and are happy with the outcome. So yes, a little apples and oranges, but if you know you want the orange, then you don't need to look at the apples...

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rich wrote:I do understand the example of the frame you posted but that is comparing apples and oranges. In order to cut out the child in the photo you have to be able to cut into tight corners and come to a point with the cut in order to get the effect of the cutout. The router is still only going to cut an inside cut to the size of the bit. A scroll saw blade will cut to a point. I guess I'm just looking for the cnc router to do all the cutting for me to save some time and labor if it were possible. I just don't see how a bit can accomplish that. When I get a chance...I will post an example of a cut that I don't think a cnc router can cut. Thanks for everyone's interest in this post.
Hi Rich,
Yes it's possible to cut an outline of a picture with sharp inside corners. These pictures will give an example of one way to do it:
The picture
The picture
The outline
The outline
As you can see, this will not be a 90 degree cut, therefore the sides will be tapered. I used a 60 degree v bit for this simulation. A steeper angle would give steeper sides.
This is similar to the method I use for making inlays: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=317

Bob
Last edited by Bob on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Focus"

Bob

Post by Bob »

And, you could finish off the cutout with a straight bit:
finished cutout
finished cutout
This way, the slight angle next to the outline is less obvious.
Bob
"Focus"