Steps so Top Adjustments are not Needed

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rando

Re: Steps so Top Adjustments are not Needed

Post by Rando »

Yeah...the website of FaceBook....famous for leaking personal user data all day every day, but forget creating a link to one of my own photos that will actually WORK from outside....

I sorta have PC access today via a laptop, so I'll see if I can extract my own pictures and post them directly here. Thanks for the heads-up on them being inaccessible, Bill. And, gosh...such high praise...I'm humbled; thank you!

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Rando

Re: Steps so Top Adjustments are not Needed

Post by Rando »

...okay then! finally at a place where enough computing is available to make the images and get them here.

The goals of this design were, in approximate order (H to L): better rigidity, universal mounting to the HD line and possibly other, no heavier than the original, lots of useful mount points built in, and looks cool, can be made by me....
From the top side, accepts a standard 2.2KW spindle motor
From the top side, accepts a standard 2.2KW spindle motor
Back side showing two mount-hole sets
Back side showing two mount-hole sets
Side use both screws and boss/recess for rigidity.
Side use both screws and boss/recess for rigidity.
Tramming adjustments of this is accomplished with an interference-fit tapered pivot, inline with the spindle's rotor, and then two sets of locking screws (horizontal from the back plate into the base, and vertical from the base up into the back plate). The idea is to loosen the pivots, adjust the angle using those lock screws, then tightened down the pivots, and take the last bit of uneven tension out of the lock bolts, and that will be not only solid, but fully able to cancel out the weight-induced sag. The extra rigidity of the aluminum cage can then get rid of that part, so that other independent improvements in the gantry and other areas can be made.

I do like that one video of the guy who replace the entire gantry...but I'd probably build a whole new machine with better bed arrangement for my metalworking vises. Everyone else, for the most part, just wants better ridigity.

As of this, the 15th of July, I'm still working to find a new landing place for me and my machines. I'm now out near the coast of WA state, in Hoquiam/Aberdeen, and finding this a very pleasant place.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)