IPM feed rate for softer wood

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bangert78

IPM feed rate for softer wood

Post by Bangert78 »

I am new to CNC machines. I just got a Shark HD4 a couple weeks ago and am curious how to minimize the amount of clean up on detailed projects. As I understand it from reading in forum on line one of the ways is the feed rate. For softer wood like pine does it need to be a little faster or slower? And are there any other things that I can do or adjust? Thank you for anyone that helps!!

Rando

Re: IPM feed rate for softer wood

Post by Rando »

Bangert78 wrote:I am new to CNC machines. I just got a Shark HD4 a couple weeks ago and am curious how to minimize the amount of clean up on detailed projects. As I understand it from reading in forum on line one of the ways is the feed rate. For softer wood like pine does it need to be a little faster or slower? And are there any other things that I can do or adjust? Thank you for anyone that helps!!
Bangert:

When you say "cleanup", you mean getting rid of what are effectively wooden burrs, or threads, right?

The best way is to use sharp bits, and don't ever spin them so fast (and move them so slowly) that they get overheated, lose their temper, and get dull...

Aside from that, using the "proper" F&S is always key. A softer wood will prefer faster progress through the wood, at somewhat slower RPMs as well. A F&S calculator is preferred, of course. But, you can also start with a working set and move 10% at a time in the direction you want to go. Which, in this case, from "medium" to "soft" wood would call for lower RPMs and faster speeds.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)