Re-inforcement for HD4

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DeltaGroove

Re-inforcement for HD4

Post by DeltaGroove »

I have had my shark HD4 for about a year now, and I do like it a lot, use it every day in the shop. The problem I have is flex when plunging. doent matter if its a drilling tool path , a pocket, or profile. holes are elongated a large pocket developes a V pattern on the ends. the smaller the bit the les it flexes the bigger the worse. I have tried slower pplunge rates and speeds. I have tightened the screws all the screws, I even replaced a fair number of them with hardened screws in place of the cheap/soft screws that came with the machine. Still it flexes... so are there any stiifeners available? anyone else have this problem ??

gruszie

Re: Re-inforcement for HD4

Post by gruszie »

I noticed a similar problem with my machine too. When I upgraded to a spindle I decided to completely remove the router Mount and made a solid aluminum spindle bracket for the Z axis. That made a huge difference in the flexing of the spindle head when plunging into material. Since I'm mainly cut aluminum with my machine, flexing was a big issue for me. There is still a slight bit of flexing when I do plunge into material but it's a lot less than with that plastic router Mount that came stock with the machine. So I would suggest replacing the stock router Mount and either making a new one or modifying one out of solid aluminum or Steel. That definitely helped my machine become much more rigid.

gruszie

Re: Re-inforcement for HD4

Post by gruszie »

Another option would be to install large washers around the mounting bolts that the router Mount bolts to I noticed that when plunging the bolts would start to gouge into the plastic right when the bit makes contact with the material I'm sure this was a big reason for the flexing when plunging into material since I did replace my entire router mount I never tried to install large washers around the mounting bolts to see if that would help the flexing and keep the bolts from digging into the plastic