HD4 cuts erratically after pause/resume

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

SKIF16

HD4 cuts erratically after pause/resume

Post by SKIF16 »

After pausing a 3D finishing cut and selecting resume a few minutes latter, my HD4 cut normally for a few seconds then acted erratically and bottomed out the Z axis and wondered in the X and Y axis before I emergency stopped. The work piece was ruined and the aluminum below the 3/4” spoil board was cut. I recut the project with the same G-code without a pause and it cut normally. This has happened twice. Any advise besides don’t pause and resume?

SKI

Kayvon

Re: HD4 cuts erratically after pause/resume

Post by Kayvon »

I pause/resume all the time with no issues, so I'd be interested in figuring out what's happening here. Did you happen to notice anything odd with the lines of g-code it was executing? Could you tell if it jumped from one part of the code to another or executed anything that moved it a lot in the Z direction?

Bob

Post by Bob »

SKI
Pause and resume has always worked for me...
However, pause, then jog z a little up or down, then resume, has resulted in an unwanted plunge.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

SKIF16

Post by SKIF16 »

Kayvon, thanks for your reply. I run my programs from the pedestal, so I do not know how to read the g-code after the program has started to execute. I can see the line number on the pedestal screen but do not see the executable code in real time. Any advise on how to do this would be appreciated.

SKI

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I've never used the pedestal, but you could open the gcode file in a text editor and skip to the line number. It sounds more inconvenient than seeing it on the screen, but it would work.

As Bob mentioned, you never want to jog the machine around while it's paused. I didn't even know that was possible, actually. Bad idea.