Bit Changes

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kayvon

Re: Bit Changes

Post by Kayvon »

You can open the .tap file in Notepad, as I mentioned. File -> Open -> [navigate to folder] -> change the pull down menu from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)". That'll let you open the file and edit it directly which, as I've mentioned, will not be a user-friendly experience. It's just raw commands for the CNC controller.

For your other questions, if you could post a copy of the project file, rather than the G-code, we can all take a look at it together and help you out.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Looking closely at the g-code you posted, it looks like you're writing out a scripture (2 Corinthians 5:7) using a V-Carve toolpath. Since this is simply text, it's actually easier to create the text using the text tool than it is to convert a picture file (or "clip art" file). It looks pretty clean, so I'm guessing that's what you did.

You noted that the depth was different on different parts of the cut. This makes sense for a vcarve toolpath. Think about it: You've told the machine, "I want you to fit this V bit between the lines I've given you and I want you to go as deep as possible, but don't draw outside the lines." Keeping that in mind, look at the letter 'O' on "CORINTHIANS". See how the letter is thicker on the sides, but thinner on the top and bottom? The V bit is going to have more space to fit in on the sides. If it were to go deeper on the top and bottom, it would exceed the available thickness of the letter. You've told the V bit "go as deep as possible," but you've also said, "stay within the lines," so it can't go any deeper.

rrsnith

Post by rrsnith »

Thanks that makes sense now.