Fuse HD4

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dciliberti

Fuse HD4

Post by dciliberti »

Why would the fuse blow? Was running a pocket profile taking .1 inch and blew fuse twice. BTW, thanks for putting in the spare. :)

Rando

Re: Fuse HD4

Post by Rando »

Some "normal" things that could cause that:

If you're powering more than one thing from the router output, say like the router AND a shop-vac. Try manually doing the motor on/off and see if that changes things.

I assume it was running along just fine and then POW!? If it happened as the router started rotating, then it could be a router in-rush current issue. That could be dying bearings, a fluke of positioning on a brush-style motor, or anything else that might give the starting router a bunch more resistance to movement. Again, move to manual, or relay-assisted router-motor power.

If you're using really fast feedrates and it's plowing through hard material, I'd expect you'd see other horrible things in how the machine did its work (or failed at it!) long before the fuse would raise any alarm.

Other than that, it'd be weird things like somehow getting a pair of incorrectly-rated fuses. Not at all likely.
If you somehow plugged it in to 220...no, you said it was working...

Yeah, those are the "normal" things that might cause it. Other than that, it would have to be some horrible short or miswiring that's connecting hot to neutral or ground. Was the run doing anything in particular at the time? Did it just cut through and hit a clamp/bed/nail or something conductive to the bed? The reason I'm leaning that way is that if the power supply is dying, those things will almost always die by going OFFline, not sucking too much juice. Those modular power supplies tend to fail by going to sleep forever, not by exploding/shorting. Well, unless you have metal chips blowing around inside your controller ;-).

If you're of strong heart, and you have one of those handy-dandy non-contact thermometers (I use mine in the kitchen to make sure the pan for my eggs is the perfect temp ;-) ), then open up the controller and watch for any hot-spots during the run. Things like lots and lots and lots of Z at a higher-than appreciated retract-rate (+Z direction) might overheat the driver board and cause issues. But, even then, that's so not likely to blow the main fuse. It almost has to be in the router-power side of things.

Well, unless of course there's a dangling wire, but you'd have other problems!

I suppose the other thing would be to check and make sure all the connectors are plugged in fully, both the steppers and any power cables. A loose power cord will arc as it wiggles free, and can sometimes cause issues with fuses. But, my guess is you've done that a dozen times already.

Well, those are the things I'd check. Hope you track it down before the auto-parts store runs out of fuses, and before any lasting damage is done :shock:

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

dciliberti

Post by dciliberti »

Thom,

Thanks for all the possibilities. I opened the box and all wires were tight and on connectors correctly. Only running router on output. I'll keep you updated

rcrick

Post by rcrick »

High current from the router. High load on router. Router windings going bad. More often that not it is router related.
Rick