Shark HD4 Going haywire during machining

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rsiboni

Shark HD4 Going haywire during machining

Post by rsiboni »

I'm new to CNC. Some of my projects work fine and others go haywire during machining a piece. Yesterday, I created a file on my laptop (Windows 10) and saved the crv and tap files unto my thumb drive (as I normally do) which I then plugged into my pendant. The roughing toolpath machined just fine, but the finishing toolpath went crazy about 40% into the machining. The router started cutting through the work piece and burning up the wood.

Just don't know why sometimes it works and other times not! My laptop has all the updates and my USB is fully powered all the time. Thumb drive is the correct size and format.

What might I be missing? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

SteveM

Re: Shark HD4 Going haywire during machining

Post by SteveM »

I had similar problems until I found out my router bit was slipping.
It doesn't have to slip much, but the result is a ruined piece.
First thing to do is make sure your bit is nice and tight.
Just a suggestion for a place to start looking!

rsiboni

Post by rsiboni »

Thanks. I'll try it.

scubanimal

Post by scubanimal »

I too have had issues in the past. One thing I noticed was that if for instance my cut was too aggressive, or the bit was loose or it ran into a hold down it could not cut thru was that the position was lost. So since its effectively relative positioning (meaning it shifts from current x,y,z distance) if the current point is not where it thinks it is the cutting is not where is expected. A loose bit can (and has for me) caused this. Hitting a hard limit (like I positioned the blank too far in one direction) has also been a root cause. Good luck!

rsiboni

Post by rsiboni »

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Rick

Pavel

Post by Pavel »

Besides A loose or dull bit Check foe any obstructions to the machine. I once had the router power cause gantry to deviate from the X axis. The cord got caught on the side work bench. Won't happen again!