Help w/ Speeds & Feeds - Hare & Tortoise

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

acebetter

Help w/ Speeds & Feeds - Hare & Tortoise

Post by acebetter »

I'm using GWizard to get the speeds and feeds for birch. I have 2.25HP Bosch router. I am using 1/4" carbide end mill with a depth of cut of 1/8." At a 35% Tortoise/Hare rating the speed is 18,153 RPM, feedrate is 131 ipm and the plunge rate is 65.5. The feedrate and plunge rate seem really high.It seems the slider had a huge effect on the results at 10% the feedrate drops to 52ipm and the plunge rate to 26. Those numbers seems more realistic. Should I be using the 10% values?

I am very confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx
Jeff

SteveM

Re: Help w/ Speeds & Feeds - Hare & Tortoise

Post by SteveM »

I would think the feed rate of 131 is a bit fast. I would probably try about 80-100 for starters and possibly less that 1/8 depth.

Rando

Re: Help w/ Speeds & Feeds - Hare & Tortoise

Post by Rando »

SteveM:

I use GWizard a lot too. Can you upload a screenshot of the display showing the oddly-high numbers? I'll take a look and see if I can see something out of whack.

Also, for comparison, because of the flex in the Shark HD2 I have, I tend to create the equivalent (on a real, rigid machine) of a near-finish cut for my roughing cuts. Yes, the material removal is lower, but it greatly helps manage the strain on the machine and thus the deflection in the bit, Z-axis carriage and gantry. What's my tortoise-hare setting? Typically 15-18% for my light-roughing cuts, and 5-6% for true finishing cuts. That setting seems to come out with numbers that make more sense...for me. And yeah, I use those slider settings for Aluminum, wood, acrylic, etc.

Anyway, upload a screenshot and I'll take a gander. :ugeek:

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)