Does Your Machine Sound Like This?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kghinsr

Re: Does Your Machine Sound Like This?

Post by kghinsr »

I get a sound like that when the machine bottoms out and the motor can't move it any more
at the speed it was going up and down I think it would be impossible not to bottom it out
in either direction. Also get that noise in the X or Y direction when I've gone to far and it bottoms out.
Ken
CNC Shark Pro, Laser Engraving, and other CNC equipment

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Does Your Machine Sound Like This?

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Eric - I let my Shark run dry - and got that exact sound. I normally clean and lubricate the rods about every 12 job hours. I don't have any metrics, it just seems to work for me and is a convenient number to remember.

I skipped the last one and ran jobs until I started getting the same noise as you demonstrated in your video. Started with movement in z-, and as that job was running, a little in x as well toward the end. z- was the most aggregious (big words for the morning!). I cleaned and lubricated (I use a teflon/silicon spray by Dupont that I got at Lowe's). Again, I get rid of the majority of the debris first, then spray on, then jog back and forth while holding a wrag along the spiral rods.

I went to a local welding shop and had them make me a little tool with a "hook" in it out of stiff aluminum to reach and lubricate the y spiral screw without taking the deck off. This seems to work so far - I've never taken the deck off. The hook is slightly larger in diameter than the rod. I slip a rag in there and soak that area with the lube.

At high rate of movement in z- I still got a little noise while jogging, but after another 6 hours of use, the volume did not increase. Let us know how you make out.