making signs

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rushman2112

making signs

Post by Rushman2112 »

So I am cutting into oak with a 90 degree v bit. I am going about .125 but I dont think its deep enough because when I sand I sand away the detail after painting trying to get it off even with masking it off so I am thinking that I am not going deep enough in the wood so I was wondering what everyone else is doing as far as how deep they go. Thanks Rod

SteveM

Re: making signs

Post by SteveM »

You could try using a 60* bit or just set your flat depth to about .13 or .14 with the 90*. That should do the trick.

Rushman2112

Post by Rushman2112 »

Ok another problem I checked the wood and decided to do 5/16 deep and as it was cutting the letters it gets less and less depth until at the end it does not look like its cut. I checked the board and it looks pretty flat. there is no way that board is 5/16 off you would see it. SO then I have to assume or think its the spoilboard is off so should I run a planner bit over the spoil board again and try it again I think I had to do it once. I mean I could start off at 1/32 or 1/64 to get it to make sure the spoil board is totally flat. I am just not sure how to correct this or should I use the plainer bit over the Project board and see what happens then I am not sure how to fix this to get an even depth of cut.

TAW

Post by TAW »

Are yo using virtual zero?
Have you set your z to certain ight above the spoil board and ran the machine to all 4 sides of table in center? some how check to see if the 4 sides are equal or dips at one end?

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If your spoil board isn't flat that will cause big problems. Make sure that is flat and even from all the corners.

The piece you are using for the sign should also be flat. Depending on the actual size of your sign, you could run it thru a planer first or surface it in the cnc machine then cut your letters.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

While the spoil board may be a problem, I'd also check to ensure the bit was secure in the collet - this could've been caused by a loose tool.

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

I agree with TAW. Anytime I am using an engraving bit I use virtual zero. I learned the hard way.
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

Rushman2112

Post by Rushman2112 »

So I did check the spoil board and I found a low spot in the board and set the z off that and resurfaced the spoil board. I did plane the surface of the project on the CNC and I thought after doing all that. i thought I would have it licked after that So I sanded down and maybe 150 was a bit much So the only other thing I can think of to fix it is to sand down and somehow get the cnc x and Y zeroed out and hope that I can get it to line up exactly so that it repeats the words I sanded off two hard on and just go deeper part of the problem I think is the letters are a different style then the others and they are small. But that should not make a big difference if the depth is all correct across the board. Because it only does it on the small letters and I cant figure out why when I sand it it only does it on a couple of letters so. if I get it alined correctly in the software is there a way to make it so that when your in vcarve that you have a project and you have your shape and its on a bigger base that you have to figure out how to get it to aline with lower left of the corner of the project and not the outside I mean if I would some how set it so that the waste is not in the calculation of the travel so the waste isnt there and only the project is self that way I can aline the bit in the lower left hand corner of the project instead of the corner of the project. if this makes any since. I guess what I am asking is how to you make the outside vector of the project the start point with out the waste after cutting it out. so lets say just have a shape and that has to be the y and x starting point at 0 and 0.

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

If I follow your post correctly, I think you may want to try setting the xy datum position to the center of the work piece,
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

Rushman2112

Post by Rushman2112 »

I will try that next time but what I did to correct the problem was to I think I went .015 and just draw it on the spoil board and then line it up that way. but I think what your saying might work better I will remember that. Thanks for your help.