Star Modeling Inlay

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Star Modeling Inlay

Post by bill z »

I’m looking for some V-Carve help.

My desire is to make a Texas State Flag cutting board but I seem to be having problems cutting the star the same size and shape as the V-Cut star hole.

There is a youtube on using Modeling with Aspire using two rail sweep. That produces a nice star but it doesn’t fit the V-carve star hole of the same size. The end tips are the same size but the two rail star is too shallow for the V-carve star hole.

I'm looking for a near exact fit.

When googling for 'Aspire modeling star', I get actors and all of the wrong stuff.

Can some give me pointers.
Attachments
TexasFlagCuttingBoard.jpg
Texas Flag Cutting Board
(5.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Barry Anderson

Re: Star Modeling Inlay

Post by Barry Anderson »

Bill, when I do an inlay, I look at it as two parts, the female part, and then the male part that is inlayed into the female. I v carve cut the female to start at zero and have a flat depth of .02. I make the male a mirrored image. Draw a box around it and v carve it to start at 0.1 with a flat depth of 0.1. Put glue in the female, insert male and clamp, then plane or sand the raised part of the male. Sounds complicated but it's not, and it works for me. Either on this forum or the Vectric forum there are some posts with other techniques. Hope this helps.
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

bill z

Post by bill z »

The female is easy with a 60 degree V bit. But, I'm still having issues with the male. I did as you suggested Barry, but the parts were more rounded on the inside corners of the star. It fit but left a small gap due to the roundness.

I tried modeling but it doesn't look good modeling with a 60 degree V bit.

Right now, I'm still working on a way to make a real sharp chrisp inlay of a 5 pointed star.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bill
Have you checked here:
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ay#p211896
It's a good inlay technique leaving sharp corners.
bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

bill z

Post by bill z »

Thanks Bob!!

It took a while for it to sink in. I see now that the first number is sort of the centering value (where the flush of the two cuts would meet). Pardon my un-professional wording.

Other projects have taken my time, so I haven't attempted another test yet.