Recommendations for disassembly and shipping of Shark CNC

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Billklinevt

Recommendations for disassembly and shipping of Shark CNC

Post by Billklinevt »

Hello all,

I’m looking for recommendations on best way to ship a Shark Pro Plus HD 2.0, including how much to (or not to) disassemble it before packing it, and best company/service to use for shipping.

My Dad passed away this winter and he was an avid user of his Shark CNC since 2013 and I’d like to carry on that tradition, but I need to get it from Vermont to Texas. I haven’t found if he was a member on this forum but he definitely has printouts from posts on here about different topics.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Recommendations for disassembly and shipping of Shark CN

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Bill,

Sorry for your loss. I can't speak to the best company to ship - it will be expensive I suspect all around. As to disassembly - I'd remove the router and then unbolt the gantry from the base unit. The 'original' unit was shippped in 2 boxes - the base unit in one box, and the gantry in a separate box (which typically had the shark control box and other misc components in smaller boxes inside the 'bigger' box the gantry was in).

The gantry arms do extend a bit from the sides of the base table. In the 'original' shipping box, styrofoam and cardboard on the sides buffers the table and these arms from any direct contact with the outside of the shipping container.

The gantry itself was supported with cardboard pieces in a manner that none of the surfaces were in direct contact with the outside box.

Billklinevt

Post by Billklinevt »

Thanks for the info!

Billklinevt

Post by Billklinevt »

Just wanted to post an update for anyone that may find this by searching... I dissembled the shark as suggested by jeb2cav, and then a bit further to break it down enough for packaging. Originally I planned to ship it via multiple boxes via normal UPS or FedEx, but the base’s large single piece of plastic is a size that isn’t easily shipped via standard options. My brother built me a wooden crate that we eventually discovered FedEx Freight’s flat rate crate/pallet option, which requires a business account to use.

Happy to report that I received the Shark last week and assembled it! Been doing some test runs and it all seems to be in good shape. Now time to lurk this forum for best practices on which bits to use and various project ideas!

leslietomb95

Post by leslietomb95 »

Sometimes, many couriers services halt at operation. Thanks for sharing your experience with shark CNC.