Y Axis Problem

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Wilem the Fixer

Y Axis Problem

Post by Wilem the Fixer »

HI ,
I have a problem with the Y Axis in the + mode near the end ( Back of M/C last 70mm))is making a grinding noise. Is not to bad going from the max Y back to 0 ( front of M/C) but when going the last 60 mm in the + direction is making a grinding noise and loosing position. Has only just started doing this in the last few days as i have had the machine for about 2 months. ANY Answerers????
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au

Bob

Re: Y Axis Problem

Post by Bob »

Contact Tim Owens, and Al Wolford, they have always answered my questions and solved my Shark-related problems.In fact, they are probably in the process of answering right now.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The Y axis is the only axis connected by the end user so when Y axis problem is brought up I have the person check to make sure there are not any issues with the plug connection.

But in your case this sounds like one of two problems.

First the CNC Shark Basic Panel program has a limit that sounds like this to alert someone that they are going beyond 26 inches (usually done when run into the wall). If for some reason you have triggered this it will grind and continue to when in the area. An easy check is to leave it in the area power down the controller and close the software and back up and then move the Y around again and see if it still makes the noise.

The second could be a binding problem usually due to contamination. You will have to take the wood top off to check the lead screw. I would spray some silicon or lithium spray on the screw in front of the Black lead screw nut and run the nut back and forth over the spray. This will remove any contamination in the nut.

This should fix it.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Like I said...You can depend on these guys to have answers.
Bob
"Focus"

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

I started using Boeshield T9 on all the lead screws on my shark. Runs smooth and quiet (well, except for the darn noisy router). My next version of my top for my shark is going to have an access panel to make it easier to get to the y screw for routine maintenance.

Ed

Bob

Post by Bob »

I put access holes over all four table mounting screws, making it easier to adjust the table for level. I also switched to 1" MDF for the table and auxiliary table.
"Focus"

Wilem the Fixer

Post by Wilem the Fixer »

I have tried the solutions from Tim Owens but still making noise.
It is the Y axis screw thread making the loud noise at the last 6omm or so at the back of M/C and only in the + direction
I clean the M/C every day that i use it by running a clean rag over all the shafts and low air pressure. Also do a warm up back and forth and left to right a few times before and after using the M/C
Have used silicon spray also.
I dont think it is loose screws as it works fine everywhere else
Look at my posting of Shark Pro in Australia for my set up.
Thanks Guys and Girls.
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au

AJR

Post by AJR »

I got the same issue with my machine except it is in the X direction
Attachments
loosing X direction
loosing X direction

drueth

Post by drueth »

AJR

How aggressive was your cut. It looks like you are cutting maple and the cut looks to be about 0.25 deep. It may be the Y is slipping and only the X stepper is able to move the router along the path. The other thing I have seen to cause this is when you are making a deep cut with and EN mill like this if the load on the router is to great and it cause it to lean to the side the entire bit is all at once cutting and not just the very end. One thing you can do to help with this is make this a pocket cut and make the pocket about 0.30 This will incress the cut time but it will insure that both sides of the bit are not touching the wall of the cut all the time.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

if you are experiencing binding and noise near the end of travel on the x or the y, it can be caused by misalignment of the lead screw nut (as held by its mount) and the center of the bearing hole for the lead screw shaft at that end. It can be a manufacturing tolerance or assembly situation. As the nut nears the end of the lead screw, bending of the screw can not compensate for the misalignment and you start to get binding or noise. You may be able to better align the nut to the machine frame by slightly loosening the bolts that hold the nut,running the axis to the binding area, and retightening the nut to its mount.