Cutting Out Signs Using Tabs "Error Jerking"

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Hobbyist1015

Cutting Out Signs Using Tabs "Error Jerking"

Post by Hobbyist1015 »

Hi all! I just picked up the cnc Shark Pro Plus and I am having problems when I want to mill out tabs on a piece. When I first started using my cnc machine I had a big error problem occur only once. In V carve I used the sample image called "Open Sign" to create a sign. I followed step by step how to create it by using the tutorials provided. When I started carving the sign it did a wonderful job. But when I wanted to cut the sign out with a mill bit I made tabs around the sign and didn't expect this to happen at all. The cnc machine started cutting around the sign for about 50 seconds and then all of the sudden the router lifted up and down up and down about 15 times until I had to finally E stop the job. I restarted the job to cut out the sign and it didn't do that error again it did something new. When the mill bit goes around the piece and comes across "EXACTLY" where all of the tabs will be located it shakes back and forth 2 times which I can feel the vibrations from the jerking pretty good in the table. The back and forth jerking occurs right before where the tabs will be located and right after where the tabs would end. But the weird thing is when it does the jerking there are no tabs visible at all at the time. It does cut the tabs after this but leaves me with 2 horrible markings on all sides of my piece from that jerking. So then I created a new job with just a simple square in V carve and gave it 4 tabs all around the piece. This time it only jerked back and forth on the first starting tab every pass and not any other tabs like before. I attached a picture to this post to give you guys a better understanding of what my work looks like after that jerking. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this. Thanks so much!!

Steve :)
Attachments
IMG_4259.JPG

Bob

Re: Cutting Out Signs Using Tabs "Error Jerking"

Post by Bob »

Steve,
This is not a solution to your problem, but it's something I've been experimenting with:
I have skipped tabs completely. Instead, when making the cutout passes, I cut about 1/16" to 1/8" from the bottom. I then remove the panel from the Shark and cut the rest of the way through using a jigsaw. I finish up the rough edges using a laminate trimming bit. When I used tabs, I also trimmed them with the laminate trimmer.
Like I said...Not a solution to your problem, but it works.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Steve,

When the machine got into that state - you said you e-stopped and tried again. Did you "reboot" the controller, then reload the tap file? It sounds like you may be experiencing a bad load of the controller. I've experienced it myself, and seen it describe on the forum. It seems that the best course of action when this occurs - any unexpected and erratic behavior, the best thing is to close the basic panel, power off, then back on the controller - give it a few seconds to be sure it is off - and then start the basic panel again.

The other thing you could do is post your VCarve project file for a look by some. I don't see this behavior for what it's worth.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Steve - have you had a chance to try either method yet? NP if you haven't - but please post outcome when you get a chance for all to use in the future. Thanks

Hobbyist1015

Post by Hobbyist1015 »

Hi Jeb2cav I'm sorry I have not had a chance to try it yet as I am sick as a dog right now. I will certainly post when I try them out. Thank you so much everyone for you help it's much appreciated.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Steve,

Hope you're feeling better - and np on posting the status. I am a little curious about this. You may also want to look at a near similar discussion in this post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=612 - although the jerking and stuttering as you described sounds like (from a distance) rebooting the control box first.

Hobbyist1015

Post by Hobbyist1015 »

HI all and thank you kindly for all of your help with this matter. After trying all of the suggested ideas from everyone I am still in the same situation. I am dealing with the tech guys at the moment and we will see what happens. They're saying maybe I would have to send my control box in for testing. I just wish there was a quick fix so I can enjoy this machine that I paid so much money for. After purchasing this shark pro plus I also invested about $1200.00 more into a dust collection system and air filtration system just for this cnc machine. I need this thing working top notch after investing so much. I will keep everyone updated when we figure this out. Thanks again!!!