triple edge finder

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Al Allison

triple edge finder

Post by Al Allison »

Has anyone used something like "The Maker's Guide - Triple Edge Finder" as a z touch plate and x-y finding device for the CNC Shark HD4 w/pendant? Or something similar? TIA.

OCEdesigns

Re: triple edge finder

Post by OCEdesigns »

I have not but I have seen videos of people using it on other machines and software. I can't find any for the Vectric software. You may need to contact them to ask.
Shark HD4 Extended Bed, Water Cooled Spindle. VCarve Pro 10.5
Maker of many chips

Al Allison

Post by Al Allison »

Thanks OCE

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

That's clever. I like the x-y finder, which is a nice addition to a z/surface locator.

I had been interested in the Shark Touchplate for a while, but $100 was more than I could really justify on it. Shark's stuff won't work well with other products, either. You need to have a legitimate Shark Touchplate for it to work and, even then, this forum is flush with people whose touchplates stopped working when the Shark software forgot the touchplate serial number.

Eventually I made my own system. It's a simple touchplate that connects to a USB device that I made. Very easy to use:
1) Verify that the touchplate is working by tapping it against the bit and making sure the USB device lights up.
2) Hold down the button on the USB device. The bit will slowly descend until it finds the touchplate, then it will retract by 0.001" and freeze.

It's a great system. The computer recognizes the USB device as a keyboard, so the Shark software is happy to go along with it. I can post some pictures if anyone's interested.

Al Allison

Post by Al Allison »

Hi Kavon,
Could your device be used for the x-y center idea?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

It would need to be modified for that to occur. Right now, it pushes the PgDwn button repeatedly to step down the Z axis (I have my step size set to 0.001"). There's no reason I couldn't add a separate button to the device that toggles which axis is being used.