Grave marker suggestionns please

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NL7U

Grave marker suggestionns please

Post by NL7U »

I recently lost my youngest brother, and his wife has asked me to create a wooden headstone on my cnc machine. Oh, Boy! This has me looking for help as I want to explore all the possible scenarios for me to accomplish this. All woods left outdoors will deteriorate whether it is teak, cedar, or whatever else is available. Epoxy, fiberglass, oil finishes also will become ugly over a span of years. Personally, I would rather convince her that this "boot hill" marker is a bad idea and for her to just go with granite, but I will at least investigate it. I just don't know where to go with this...please help me...Thanks.

TAW

Re: Grave marker suggestionns please

Post by TAW »

If you search at top right of form page with granite- there are several post about using a drag bit on granite tiles. I believe the attached snap shot is under the word "engravings"
Attachments
Capture.PNG x.PNG

NL7U

Post by NL7U »

Yes, I agree...but she wants a wooden marker, so that is what I am exploring first.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

My sincerest condolences for your loss. I can't imagine losing a brother--my heart goes out to you and your family.

You could look into marine finishes, which are used on boats. Something like a UV-protecting polyurethane coat and an epoxy resin would preserve the underlying wood for a few years, but it would need to be refinished occasionally. Even high-end boats with woodwork, which are a good comparison for this, need to be refinished an maintained to keep them looking good. That's where I would start investigating.

Ultimately, I think your hunch is right. You want something that will endure, even if future generations neglect to maintain it.

BillK

Post by BillK »

You might want to PM Eagle55 or just view his work here :http://www.eaglecarver4.com/gallery#/headstones

Roger made these out of Corian I believe. He was/is a care taker at a Cemetery and a shark user. He replaced many missing markers with his Corian headstones.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.