Curved Betting (Poker) Chips Trays

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, sbk, al wolford

bill z

Curved Betting (Poker) Chips Trays

Post by bill z »

A friend contracted me to build a Craps Table, complete with betting (poker) chips trays. The table was relatively straight forward and simple but the chips trays were more challenging. Craps tables have betting (poker) chip trays on the curved ends and that creates more of a challenge. 2 rail modeling in Aspire greatly helps but only by cutting do you know if the betting (poker) chips fit nice, too tight or too loose.

Other software could be used but Aspire is what I’ve been using.

In Aspire, I can not get the 2 rail modeling to cut along the curved rails, it only wants to cut in ether the X axis or Y.

Has anyone cut a curved chip tray? If so, I’d like to know what you did and how successful you were.

bill z

Re: Curved Betting (Poker) Chips Trays

Post by bill z »

After carving a bunch of scrap wood, I finally figured it out, or at lease what works for me.

In Aspire, In Toolpath in finishing Toolpath, in Machine Strategy, I chose Conventional Offset instead of Raster. At first I thought Raster would take less time but it doesn’t.

The other change I made was to set my Y axis in the rough cut, just a little high so the finishing cut would cut just a little deeper. This resulted in much less chipping out of some of the wood grain.

Carving in this manner resulted in much less sanding.

If any one is interested, I can send them a DXF.
-
-
IMG_1333[1].JPG