Z Axis issues

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dr.G

Z Axis issues

Post by Dr.G »

I recently purchased an HD520 for use in guitar making, converting my lutherie skills to digital duplication as the goal. I was running a sign project as a test program, and with everything programmed correctly, while using a profile toolpath and my material at .75 inches, I set the cut depth to .755 inches with tabs as a through-cut with a spoil board in place. No matter what I did to adjust, including replacing the existing file, and attempting to complete the same operation as a pocket toolpath, the most I could get the.25 endmill to cut for depth was .614, when it was programmed for .775 inch depth cutting. Would appreciate assistance from experienced users.
Thanks

sharkcutup

Re: Z Axis issues

Post by sharkcutup »

Okay let us start with -

What software are you using to create your vectors for carving? Vectric's V-carve Pro or Desktop OR some other software?

If one of the above software packages is used then in Material Setup are you Z-zeroing to Material Surface or the Machine Bed/Spoilboard?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rando

Post by Rando »

You're gonna hate this....

it's possibly as simple as changing the model number in the pendant. 4003 comes to mind....

I've heard (on FB) many stories of people upgrading their gantry to the latest-and-greatest,
only to have it refuse to get with 0.5" of the bed. AND, they left the step about setting the
model number in the pendant OUT of the instructions for the upgrade.

Check that out, maybe that'll make it right, since if you have a brand new machine, ideally
you already have the latest-and-greatest.

Regards,

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Hello Rando,

Happy Holidays to You and Yours!

Interesting point which I was unaware of!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rando

Post by Rando »

Thanks! Same to you. Though, I lost my dad to COVID last week, so I hope your holidays are WAY better than mine!

But yeah, on FB pretty much once every couple days someone runs into it. I don't even own a 5 series and I've seen
the question enough I know it's 4003. Heck, I even created a meme!
4003Meme.jpg
Wanna see the special thing I'm working on? Just beware: this video is of a SHARK HD2+......

http://www.thomr.com/DropZone/MegaMouth ... pt2020.mp4

snicker snicker

$899 + shipping....going to be introducing sometime very soon!

Cheers.

Rando

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Sorry to hear about your Father!

I had lost my Father Jan. 2019 of natural causes old age he was 87.

Like your meme! I am a member of the Vectric Forum and yeah I see enough repetitive questions asked there too. I have created and saved many responses which I use to upload now which make the process of answering those repetitive questions easier.

Wow! That is cool. I see you have gotten rid of all the HDPE in the Z-Axis too. I do not cut or intend to cut Aluminum so it is not cost worthy for me to change or modify my machine. Besides I have gotten my machine tuned (Feed/Speeds) for carving softwoods and hardwoods. I had just replaced my first router spindle a few months ago. Other than that I have had no real problems with the machine. I have carved many projects with that first spindle and I believe I have gotten my monies worth out of it.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rando

Post by Rando »

Yes, it is.

You just don't realize what a nightmare you've been living this whole time.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

sharkcutup wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:44 am
I have gotten my machine tuned (Feed/Speeds) for carving softwoods and hardwoods. ... Other than that I have had no real problems with the machine. I have carved many projects ...
Sharkcutup
Me too Sharkcutup! Sorry, but I'll pass Rando on your Big Mouth project. :roll:

cnc cecil

Post by cnc cecil »

I have tested the HD5 and recommend that the x and y axis be lubed every 30 hours. It can go longer in a dust free environment. What happens is the bearings lock up intermittently and causes it to move lower. You can see a video on it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AEWSnWsYmQ . Hope this helps. If you can install a bellows over it will help other than than you must clean and grease every 30-35 hours on the x and z axis. Cecil There is also a maintenance video located here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpFW7qayasc

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

I have tested the HD5 and recommend that the x and y axis be lubed every 30 hours. It can go longer in a dust free environment. What happens is the bearings lock up intermittently and causes it to move lower. You can see a video on it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AEWSnWsYmQ . Hope this helps. If you can install a bellows over it will help other than than you must clean and grease every 30-35 hours on the x and z axis. Cecil There is also a maintenance video located here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpFW7qayasc
I rarely carve MDF but when I do I use a Dust Shoe with Vacuum it keeps that dust down fairly well. In fact the only MDF I have carved is my spoilboard! Yes, I perform maintenance monthly on my CNC machine. I have created a tool that I use for under the table to lube the Y-Axis Screw Drive. It is a length of clear tubing taped to a dowel. Squirt a little lube into tubing then rest end on screw drive then let gravity move the lube to the end and onto the screw drive. Sometimes I run a small program that moves the Gantry slowly on the Y-axis back and forth while applying the lube onto the screw drive. The small program is not necessary you can just move the dowel with tubing along the screw drive and let gravity do the rest after applying lube into the clear tubing. The X and Z Axis are much easier to get to which are cleaned and lubed after I have done the Y-Axis.
20201218_043637.jpg
Clear tubing tapped to the dowel that I use to lube the Y-Axis Drive Screw

MDF is very dusty --- NASTY!!! And yes it can very well foul things up if you do not do regular maintenance on the machine.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554