Next Wave CNC Shark HD3 Accuracy Problems

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RacerChris

Next Wave CNC Shark HD3 Accuracy Problems

Post by RacerChris »

Hi everyone!

So I have had my HD3 for five years now. I have not used it much. I mainly make gifts and signs, etc. I have the latest vCarve Desktop software and the Control Panel 2.1.

Anyways, I have been increasing frustrated by the quality of the cuts/finish especially in flat areas which exhibit significant tool marks in what are suppose to be flat areas. Strangely 3D images cut very well, gorgeous in fact. I just need to get flat areas to be flat. I posted my concerns on the Vectric Forum first https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36565

To test the accuracy of my HD3, I created the attached vCarve file. I created large .10 deep flat areas on the left and right with a 1/4" End Mill. I then created nine boxes in the left area with the 1/4" End Mill starting with .11 deep, actually .01 below the large .10 area, then .12, .13, etc down to .19. The right area uses a 1/16" Tapered Bull Nose for irregular shaped areas, each .01 deeper than the previous. Note that I recently trammed my machine and flattened my spoil board and the results were excellent. The large flat areas on the left and right were smooth with very light tool marks, but strange edge conditions that I cannot explain.

I have attached the vCarve Desktop CRV file and the 1/4" End Mill TAP file converted to TXT and 1/16" Tapered Bull Nose TAP file converted to TXT. The photos are in the subsequent post since it appears only three attachments are allowed per post...

As you can see the results are horrific. I understand that the HD3 is an entry level machine that uses a plastic carriage, but I was hoping that shallow areas would be cut accurately but this appears not to be the case. Even the .01 deep areas show tool marks, progressively getting worse as it gets deeper. I suspect something is wrong with my machine and hopefully someone will be able to either suggest how to fix this or what, if anything, could be wrong with my HD3 OR suggest hardware improvements that would increase the accuracy of the HD3.

Thanks for you help! I have asked Next Wave to comment on this and sent a link to this post to Scott at Next Wave.

Chris

RacerChris

Re: Next Wave CNC Shark HD3 Accuracy Problems

Post by RacerChris »

Attached CRV and TAP Files
Attachments
Test2.crv
vCarve File
(3.78 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
25EM Test2.txt
1/4" End Mill TAP file converted to TXT
(20.35 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
116TBN Test2.txt
1/16" Tapered Bull Nose TAPO file converted to TXT
(1001.57 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

RacerChris

Post by RacerChris »

Attached Pictures of Results
Attachments
Test Left Side.jpg
Test Right Side.jpg

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

If You are looking to Beef up your machine take a look at this link

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6485

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Beings that our machines are very similar I ran a test of four three inch squares at .125" deep in scrap 3/4" Plywood

1/4" spiral 2 flute endmill
14000 Spindle Speed
Feed Rate 75 ipm
Plunge Rate 30 ipm
Stepover .1" 40%

Here is the results:
20210127_151129.jpg
Just a little minor sanding on the Left (Offset Mode) --- Right Side (Raster Mode) looks OKAY ***Note: Raster is performed using the X-Axis
20210127_152927.jpg
My Z-Axis

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Results off of my machine your .CRV file

Changed program to .05" deep then each of the small boxes Also rotated everything to the Y-Axis because that is how my board was setup.
20210127_161133.jpg
20210127_161147.jpg
Minor sanding is all that is needed!

Many projects and 5 years usage on that machine!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

RacerChris

Post by RacerChris »

Sharkcutup!

Your the man! Slightly different setup but vastly different numbers. Will run again using your feed rate of 75 vs my 100... I'm at 18,000rpm...

Will adjust and rerun, then report back...
Attachments
CNC Setup.jpg

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Not at 18000 that is to high bring it down to 14000 to 12000 if you can (not sure you can with a Bosch router though) it will burn at that speed especially if it is MDF you are cutting.

I have a chart somewhere on the rpm's versus settings for the Bosch because I have two of them one is used as a table router the other is backup in storage. I will see if I can dig that up for you.

Just looked at your photo --- you have a chart on the wall!!!! :roll:

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

There is just one major drawback to the water-cooled spindle --- it is not controlled by the cnc controller box. The operator/user turns it on/off and must set the rpms after it is turned via a rotary dial knob on the inverter which controls the spindle.

That is another gripe (rarely mentioned) that Nextwave Automation has failed to rectify with their products.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

RacerChris

Post by RacerChris »

RacerChris wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:55 pm
Sharkcutup!

Your the man! Slightly different setup but vastly different numbers. Will run again using your feed rate of 75 vs my 100... I'm at 18,000rpm...

Will adjust and rerun, then report back...
Made adjustments to Feed Speed up/down and Spindle Speed. Unfortunately, results have not been improved... See pics... :-(
Attachments
Test4 MDF.jpg
Test4 Ply.jpg