jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Importing eps file

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - some links that I have found useful are:

http://www.onsrud.com/xdoc/FeedSpeeds
http://www.precisebits.com/library.htm
http://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/ca ... speeds.htm

You may also want to search on the Vectric and CNC Zone forums for carbon fiber - there may be some useful tips.

You can change the feed and plunge rates for a given cutter by editing the tool - either from the tool library, or while creating a given toolpath. The other thing that directly influences the feed and plunge rates is the FRO slider on the Shark Basic Panel. If you set a feed rate of 100, but the FRO on the Basic Panel is 50%, the feed rate being run by the shark is 50 - not 100.

I'm sorry I'm not more help - I only work in wood and corian right now.

johnnycat500

Post by johnnycat500 »

Here's a pic of my first cut. Custom rc helicopter frame. I have a few ?'s. I have 3 layers of tool paths and for now cutting them one at a time manually.The g10 is .0625 thick and I am cutting it .110 deep.It cuts everything in 2 passes. Is there a way that it will cut it with one pass.The other ? is I made some text JC 500 FP to cut below the main shaft pulley and grouped it in my inter profile layer.As far as the text goes it just drilled 3 holes in the text area.Am I not using the correct tool path for text? Any help would be appreciated. :-]
Attachments
DSC_2376 ps  1200x797.jpg

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - if you are using the same tool for each "layer" of tool paths, then you can write them to a single tap file. In VCarve or Aspire, when you've selected the Save Toolpath toolbox, Check the "Output all visible toolpaths to one file" box. Then select the make toolpath visible box for each toolpath that uses the same tool (cutter) in the Toolpath List. The resulting tap file will contain all the toolpaths and you can run them in a single job.
Output Multiple Toolpaths to a Single Tap File
Output Multiple Toolpaths to a Single Tap File
If you make a toolpath visible that is using a different tool (cutter), you'll see an error reported in the Save Toolpaths toolbox - a murphy's law if you will.
Error Reported When Selecting Toolpaths with Different Tools (Cutters)
Error Reported When Selecting Toolpaths with Different Tools (Cutters)
With regard to cutting it all in one pass. A general rule of thumb I use is to use a pass depth = 1/2 the width of the tool. This is very straight forward with end mills to start with. You didn't state what tool you're using, so hard to say much more. In the end, it's still a rule of thumb. I've found it to be both more and less depending on the material and the cutter (even if same cutter, as you get toward the latter half of tool life, you may want to slow it down for example - or even change the pass depth).

I don't know why you'd need to cut to .110 if the material is 0.0625 thick - unless by choice. You should be able to make the cut 0.065 or 0.07 and obtain a cut through.

My guess on the text is that the toolpath / cutter combination isn't appropriate for the size of the lettering. You should be seeing this outcome in the VCarve toolpath preview. You could create a VCarve project with just the lettering, and I'm sure you'd get some sound advice on some things to try.

An interesting use of the Shark! You should submit pics to the gallery, and to Next Wave for their sales brochure...