How Long Can I Let My Shark Run?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Hobbyist1015

How Long Can I Let My Shark Run?

Post by Hobbyist1015 »

Hi All!!! I have the cnc shark pro plus and I just picked up the photovcarve software. I noticed that some of my projects aren't that big but will take 6 - 11 hours to run. I'm not sure I really want the machine to run non stop like that as it may overheat? Is there a way to run it half the time and maybe finish the rest another day without loosing where I left off? Thanks so much!

Hobbyist :)

JerryBurks

Re: How Long Can I Let My Shark Run?

Post by JerryBurks »

That is more a matter of how comfortable you are with unattended running. I don't think the Shark itself will overheat but you might have a tool collision (most likely problem?), the software might go haywire or the router might burn out. Normally that will be just damage to the work piece or the machinery but there is a remote possibility of fire (overheating motor stuffed with wood dust and wood chips close by). You could hook up a smoke detector for added safety if you want to run overnight.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I agree with Jerry. I've run a few 6-12 hour jobs. Even for my 2-4 hour jobs, I am not sitting in the same room staring or even doing something else.

Bob has commented on some of his steps for router maintenance. I'd pay particular attention to the brushes. I inadvertently ran one set down after about 115 hours of use. A lick on me for not doing a better job of that.

As long as your router is in good shape, and you're confident you don't have any possible murphy's law events in the project setup (like the tool running into a clamp), and the project is sound (reasonable plunge and feed rates for the material and cutter involved), then the length or the run is not an issue in my mind.

JerryBurks

Post by JerryBurks »

jeb2cav wrote:.......... Even for my 2-4 hour jobs, I am not sitting in the same room staring or even doing something else........
Well, I noticed watching the router bit for extended time has some kind of hypnotic quality :shock:
Better than most TV shows, anyway.