Power Conditioner/Voltage Regulator

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ollie85

Power Conditioner/Voltage Regulator

Post by ollie85 »

Hi
I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a Shark Pro Plus and am concerned with surges/spikes in electricity. Once in a while the electricity at our house goes out or flickers. I don't want to ruin anything!

I was wondering if anyone uses a power conditioner or voltage regulator to protect the Shark. I heard surge protectors are good, but doesn't protect as well as a "power conditioner". Any ideas? I want to make sure I don't damage the unit and would like to know what others think about this.

CountryWoodCrafts

Re: Power Conditioner/Voltage Regulator

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

I run both battery backup / surge protector and a power conditioner. I will have to check the model of the power conditioner I am running but mine goes for about $4700.00 . You can get them for a lot less but I had this one from a previous business with sensitive equipment.

I get power fluctuations and outages because I live out where there are miles of power lines before I get it so there plenty of opportunity for something to interfere. The battery backup helps keep the power there during small outages. . . mine can keep the computer, router and CNC going for about 10 minutes. . . if I see more than 2 minutes go by though I do the E-Stop and send it to 0,0,0 and shut down.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Power Conditioner/Voltage Regulator

Post by jeb2cav »

I also live in the country and not only suffer 1 second power outages, but poor voltage. I bought "the large" APC power conditioner and battery backup at BestBuy - $200. Frankly, even the $120 model would get you a couple minutes. In both cases it is also a power conditioner. I use power conditioners for all my electronics and it's been worth the investment. Not everyone has this challenge, but if you do, I would recommend protecting the investment - and perhaps getting enough back up to get you past the short interrupts and even a graceful shutdown if you're present.