Stepper Motor End Play

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

erobold

Stepper Motor End Play

Post by erobold »

Has anyone experienced end play in the Y-Axis stepper motor of the Pro Plus? My cuts are not repeatable because the shaft moves in and out of the Y-axis stepper motor as the CNC changes direction. The end play is very evident if you push-pull the CNC in the Y-direction by hand (holding on to the gantry attachment parts at the bottom of the unit. I am new at this but I don't think this is supposed to be happening.

The X and Z axes do not exhibit this same end play.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Stepper Motor End Play

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - the set screws on the collar are probably loose. From other posts, apply some Gorilla wood glue (not the poly Gorilla glue) to the screws and then tighten them up. Blue or Red lock tight, and Gorilla poly glue are not recommended (you may not get them off if needed). This should remove the condition. I haven't experienced this on my y axis, but have on the x.

hbutch8

Post by hbutch8 »

I don't know if I should have but I shimmed out the end bearing on the Y axis for this proplem. there was like a 0.250 end play in the y motor. Been running this way for couple month's no problems

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

While it might work, it may be something that is covered by warranty, and you could maybe get one without the shim. Have you called Next Wave Automation support to ask?

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Although I have not taken my motors apart, they seem to have a bearing system that behaves as if it is spring preloaded and will move axially under pressure. As the shark does not support the leadscrews axially, all the cutting force is taken in the motor bearings. If your motor shaft itself is moving axially, it is not a coupler and setscrew issue, but an issue of the motor bearings. Any force over the preload will cause movement axially, and the cut will be off. When the force goes back below the preload, the bearing (and shaft) returns to the original position.

I feel that the shark has issues with forceful cuts for several reasons, including machine flexing, leadscrew support, etc. For accurate cuts and long machine life it is best to regard the machine as light duty.

Stronger machines support the leadscrews with separate thrust bearing arrangements, as well as having more ridgid support that allows less flex under tool cutting force. It would not be difficult to convert to a supported leadscrew configuration, but the machine flex issues would still remain.

The lack of limit switches allows the machine to dead end against the end of travel, which does not do the bearings, leadscrew nuts, (and other parts) any favors either.

Since there are no real guidelines for how the machine is to be used, we are all left to find "the limits" when we take cuts that are too agressive and start losing steps or have evidence of flex in the cut. A number of members here have modified their sharks, or used them as good learning platforms before going to larger and stronger designs. No matter what we have, it is important to try and operate within the limitations of the equipmet if we want long life and good accuracy. I think it is human nature to want the shark to be more than it was intended, then we realize its not a Bridgeport.

If you have one motor that is different (weaker in axial support) from the other two, it may have bearing issues.
It may be worthwhile to replace that motor.

hbutch8

Post by hbutch8 »

I should have told everyone I shimmed out the bearing on the end of Y axis lead screw where it terminates into the plastic base in threar of machine. It is a couple washers be hind the bearing, wich pushes the lead screwinto the motor eliminating the motor shaft end play. no binding always returns to zero, no problems. have run many many hours this way, and actually seems to have a better cut quality, cleaner more defined, hope this clears confusion of my earliar post