Touchscreen Control

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

REG

Touchscreen Control

Post by REG »

I divorced my laptop from my Shark and built a touchscreen system that eliminates keyboard and mouse. File loading, jogging, basic controller operation is done via the touchscreen. I made a video on the setup. Video
I don't check-in on the forum much but I will do my best to answer any inquiries or comments. Total cost was less than $400.00 for everything.

Bobby

Jim N

Re: Touchscreen Control

Post by Jim N »

Looks GOOD!!
Can you give us more info about the hardware??
Jim

REG

Post by REG »

What else did you need to know? The Foxconn NetBox has a 320 gig 2.5" hard drive and installed 2 gig of ram. The video device in the NetBox is a on-board NVideo. The monitor is a Hewlett Packard 21 inch touchscreen. I used a USB patch cable from the NetBox to the monitor which transmits the functions of both a mouse and keyboard. No special drivers are needed Windows 7 has the drivers needed. The Shark controller box connects to another USB (there are 6 USB ports on the NetBox).

The specific model numbers of the devices are listed on the opening of the video.

Bobby

Jim N

Post by Jim N »

Thanks for the reply-
I guess I am not all that savy on computer components, and therefore
was looking for info about where to get them & best price :|
Thanks-
Jim

REG

Post by REG »

I got most of the stuff from Newegg but Amazon and buy.com also carry most of this type of hardware. The Netbox is no longer available but there are other versions as well as other book size PC systems.

Bobby

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik »

Another option is older POS screens from removed Fast Lane (NCR) systems. I'm working on one at the moment, having a USB connection problem that I need to sort on the Windows side of things.

REG

Post by REG »

Kryptik wrote:Another option is older POS screens from removed Fast Lane (NCR) systems. I'm working on one at the moment, having a USB connection problem that I need to sort on the Windows side of things.
The one problem I had with older technology touchscreens is the lack of sensitivity and the lack of "tools" when used with any other OS than Windows 7 (no keyboard).

gapdev

Post by gapdev »

I use my iPad. Works much better than resistive touch screens.

Can control the machine from my living room!

Kenny

REG

Post by REG »

gapdev wrote:I use my iPad. Works much better than resistive touch screens.

Can control the machine from my living room!

Kenny
Well, lets see it.

My monitor is optical touch panel technology not resistive.