formatting SD card

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hitest4

formatting SD card

Post by hitest4 »

I formatted my SD card by inserting it into my computer, following the guidance given by another forum user (www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=773). I have since talked on the phone to Jim at the 4520 number. Jim started telling me that this was not the proper way to format SD cards, and then was cut off. I have not been able to make telephone contact since.
Does anybody have information as to correctly format the SD card?
Thanks. Mike

AJR

Re: formatting SD card

Post by AJR »

just buy new one, you shouldnt need to format it

dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Hi,

AJR did not give you a decent answer. Buying a new card just to have one that is formatted is silly. To format an SD card, insert it into any laptop or desktop with an SD card slot and right click on the drive letter the card is in. You will see a menu item for formatting the card. Choose FAT for formatting. If you don't have a laptop/desktop with an SD slot, you can usually format the cards on a digital camera or ask a friend. You should not have to reformat unless the card is somehow corrupted, say, by pulling it when it is being written to.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I assume you are doing this to insert into a Shark Controller.
Usually only time you need to format a card is if you are having trouble with some erratic behavior (unit stops and resumes on it own) but this is rare.
The format will not hurt the card either way but the card can be revived if there is an issue but you must do a full format (not quick format). The type of format (fat32 for example) will not matter.