Format Mystery Series

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hitest4

Format Mystery Series

Post by hitest4 »

The enigma behind "Formatting Your SD Card" continues to remain a mystery. I have yet to get a cogent reply to my questions of "Is formatting necessary?"; if so, then "What is the proper procedure?", and "Why is it necessary?"; if not, then why is there so much discussion about the Formatting Thing?
If anybody has an answer, then this remains-to-be-seen Shark supporter would like to know. So far, some say yes, some say no. Thanks.
Hitest

kghinsr

Re: Format Mystery Series

Post by kghinsr »

Hitest
I will answer this the best way possible :shock:
it all depends on your operating system.
you want the SD card to work the way it should with your system.
its like the old floppy disks and the 3.5 disks
some came formated and some did not and some did not work
with other operating systems and newer versions.
any time you buy a hard drive it has to be formated to your system.
the same is true with the SD card.
you want all things equal when it comes to your CNC machine.
did this help.
Ken
CNC Shark Pro, Laser Engraving, and other CNC equipment

hitest4

Post by hitest4 »

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your reply.
I called the shark support number, and emailed them. Talked to Jim on the phone. He told me, then emailed me saying that formatting was neither required nor recommended. Other info from the forum tells me, yes, I need to format, and tells me what to do to SD format correctly. If this is important, then it should be called out in the instructions somewhere, and not left to chance discovery, plus all users should be on the same page.
Hitest

kghinsr

Post by kghinsr »

Hitest
the instruction manual left a lot to be desired ( as I recall )
seems it left a lot of things out. :o
Ken
CNC Shark Pro, Laser Engraving, and other CNC equipment

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I don't disagree about the state of the current documentation and how this can appear to be a mystery. I think some of the responses in this particular post are confusing - at least to me.

A good summary on this topic is http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=950.

Frankly, you shouldn't have to format the SD card unless:

1. You bought a new, bigger one than the 1gb card that came with the Shark because you want to run a project longer than 16 hours.
2. You mistakenly thought (as a result of clarity in the current doc) that you had to copy the tap file to the SD card. So, you removed it from the control box and and did that, and then put it back into the Control Box and found it didn't work. At this point, formatting it only puts the card back into it's original state and is now ready for use by the Control Box.
3. You are using a Win 7 box, and your computer can "see" the card in Windows Explorer and you perform the steps described in #2.
4. Harder to describe - but there seems to be instances where the card becomes corrupt. This could be the result of power fluctuations during use, bad connection between the computer/control box, satan, etc. The result is incomprehensible Shark movement that is not cleared by
- Reloading the tap file you started with
- Creating a new tap file (in VCarve/Aspire) and loading that
- Powering down the control box and trying again
- Powering down the computer and the control box and trying again
If at this point you format the SD card as described in the post referenced above, and put it back in the control box, it may in fact clear this condition. If it does, the card clearly was in a bad state, and formatting cleared that up.

As you'll see in the other post, the SD card in the control box is not used in the same manner as they are typically used - like a camera or phone (where they are used to store files). The SD card in the control box is the control box's RAM (memory). It is volatile - ie it is changed by the electronics in the control box as needed to enable the control box to do its job.

Hope this helps.