Loss of xy 0 locations whilerunning a job

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

GTOGEORGE

Loss of xy 0 locations whilerunning a job

Post by GTOGEORGE »

Has anyone had the experience of losing the x or y zerolocation while running a program? I have had this happen a number of times and even slowing the feed or reducing cuts does notseem to help. This is on a shark Pro. Frustrating!

BobA

Re: Loss of xy 0 locations whilerunning a job

Post by BobA »

That sounds to me like you are exceeding your machine limits. If you go to the end of your screw in any direction you will loose your Zero for that axis.

Example: You set your x Zero in the center of your work piece and it is in the middle of your table you can only move +12.5 to the right or -12.5" to the left of Zero. If the program moves +12.7", you will run your head into the column as you have exceeded the limits of your machine by .200". You now have lost x zero and could possibly damage the machine. I did this in the Y axis one time and I caught the error when I was not routing in the correct position after I had exceeded the limits of y axis. I stopped the program and when I returned to Zero my Y axis was in a different location. I rezeroed Y axis and reposition my part so as not to exceed the machines limits. Everything was okay after doing so. I always double check when setting up my project.

Hope that helps.

Bob

saramos

Re: Loss of xy 0 locations whilerunning a job

Post by saramos »

Are we talking about not returning to the zero position, or does it loose position during the cutting?

I had an issue with the Y axis 'stalling' during cuts and posted here in the forums. As a result of other peoples exprience with the same problem I followed two suggestions.
First, check all the connections for the steppers that are having the problem. I found a loose connection at the D connector for the Y axis. A tie strap was pulling one of the connector pins to one side. I cut the tie strap and put a new one on about 1/2 to 1 inch farther away from the connector. I also gave the linear rails a light lubrication with some Duralube I've had for a long time. I have had no more problems. Others have found problems of the set screw for the connector of the stepper to the lead screw being loose and slipping. I did not myself have this problem.

As for not returning to zero, I've seen it a couple of times. The controller will still have some non zero numbers for the x, y, or z axis, and the unit did return to zero when I pressed the return to zero button.
I don't know why it happens.

Scott