How User Friendly Is It?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BFSawing

How User Friendly Is It?

Post by BFSawing »

Thank you, Just joined and looking at maybe buying a Shark Pro and like to know how user freindly it is? I run a small sawmill and do custom sawing ( Hard & soft wood) But thing tn the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont is SLOW and I'm thinking of doing sum carving and maybe a little custom work. Do you think this CNC is a good startup for is? Thanks again Pete, :)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: How User Friendly Is It?

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Pete,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In my case, after looking into CNC wood working for several months, and thinking about a budget, I decided to start with the Shark Pro Plus, vice spending $10-14K for something that was perhaps "better", but not in areas that mattered to me. I am pleased with my decision after 10 months of use. I certainly think the Shark is the best in market for startup. Again in my case, my business is looking like it will increase and frankly, I think I'll just add another shark when the time comes.

However, the CNC machine itself is only half of the equation. The other half is the VCarve Pro software. In my case, I upgraded to Aspire as I do a lot of 3D stuff and it met my needs. The good news here is that you can download a fully functioning trial of VCarve Pro and/or Aspire, go through all of the tutorials, create some of the things you've been thinking about, and judge the outcome without ever spending a dime (you just can cut anything until you license/purchase it). http://www.vectric.com

Hope this helps.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Pete,

You can check this section of the Shark Forum and see what some people had made. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

BFSawing

Post by BFSawing »

Thanks Buc :) I have been looking at the forums on here for 2-3 weeks and seems to me that the more I read the more I like this CNC. And the price is right Too :D Looking into this more as a hobby and hope maybe more... We will see.

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I echo was Joe has already said. My professional backround is in IT and have only done woodwirking as a hobby. When I discovered the wonders of CNC, it really upped the projects that I have worked on. I spent about 3 months learning VCarve efore I bought my CNC to make sure it could do some of the things I wanted to do. I started with a demo at my local Rockler store and they turned me on to the VCarve trial.

I have the Aspire trial on my laptop now and am trying to find the time to learn it now. The difference is that I have too many projects going on and no time. :)

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

BFSawing

Post by BFSawing »

I hear that Eric...I'm trying to get firewood in...sawing loggs for a suger house....get my NEW Kilm up and running, ... But snow is coming and I seem to get things done. :)

BFSawing

Post by BFSawing »

I'm looking at the CNC Shark Pro Plus on Rocker's home page and it said that it Includes V-Carve 6.0 software, 1/2'' dia. V-groove Bit and two hold-down clamps!
Is that true?

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Yes it does. I ordered two extra clamps with mine though. I wanted one for each corner.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx