Question about Preference Updates

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

studio-n

Question about Preference Updates

Post by studio-n »

So the basic question is WHEN DO THEY TAKE EFFECT?
Based on what I'm working on, i've had to make on the fly updates to both the Lathe cut offset and the Distance from Motor Tap off.
I'm finding when they take effect very sporadic.
I find that when I change the lathe cut offset I have to exit the control panel and come back in for the new value to take effect.
Last night I changed the Distance from Motor Tap Off from 4" to 6". exited and came back in. After pressing Move To Offset, it stayed at 4".
It wasn't until I did another tap off that it would recognize the preference of 6".

I hope someone from NWA can chime in here and enlighten us a bit. I don't think this is a bug but rather just something that needs clarification.
Cheers!
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

John Shaw

Re: Question about Preference Updates

Post by John Shaw »

Valid question.
After running a 1/2" carbide cutter into the top of the chuck (where I tap off) I expected it would move to the offset automatically before starting a tool path, but it didn't. Therefore, I have made it a habit of clicking on "Move to Offset" before running a tool path.
I consider myself lucky that the router bit was destroyed but the chuck was hardly scratched. An acceptable learning experience.

Ronwoodson2

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

When I make changes in preferences I must exit the program and restart before the changes take effect.
Joe at KB Farms was one of the beta testers, and he says it is not necessary, but any changes I make
will not work until I exit/restart.
On another note, I am very pleased with how the machine works
Ron Woodson
Somerset ,Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

Ronwoodson2 wrote:When I make changes in preferences I must exit the program and restart before the changes take effect.
Joe at KB Farms was one of the beta testers, and he says it is not necessary, but any changes I make
will not work until I exit/restart.
On another note, I am very pleased with how the machine works
I'm with you on that. I have to exit and restart before it takes effect. But like I indicated I had to do a re-tap before the offset took effect.
Like you, I'm happy with the way it is working. I'm having fun and getting some real work done. Just need some clarification on when the
changes take effect without calling it a bug. Cheers!
-Nick
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Folks,

The last time I ran this, after making a preference change, I saw that they 'stuck' - but only after performing another tap off set of steps (front and back).

Let me know if you're not seeing that - and if you're not, look in the release notes and tell me what number you see in brackets.

grazinghorse

Post by grazinghorse »

My experience is the Lathe cut depth can be set on the fly so to speak. No restart is necessary. However the distance from the lath chuck definitely require shutting down the control panel and opening it again. I have never had to reset the head and tail positions. When it opens it asks me if I want to restart the previous session. I select yes and am good to go.

Speaking of changes being saved, I have a big problem with changing the tool bit feed rate in Aspire. It looks like it changes and when I go to the bit it shows the correct settings, however when I recalculate the tool path the feed rate does not change. I'm going to make a new post about this to see if anyone has some advice.