Deer Mantle

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ohiococonut

Deer Mantle

Post by ohiococonut »

Here is the Deer Mantle scene carved into a Sassafras oval. It still needs a few more coats of poly before it'll be ready to hang.

I've got lots more but that's the last one for now, I promise ;)
Did I say I'm having too much fun?! Living in the country makes getting wood pretty easy and being not too far from Keim Lumber make this hobby even more expensive. Keim stocks some pretty exotic wood and I'm like a kid in a candy store when we go there. Don't know if it's permissible to post their web address so I'll leave it out for now but you can search the web for them.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

tonydude

Re: Deer Mantle

Post by tonydude »

I really like this one.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

ttolli

Post by ttolli »

That is very nice. Excellent Job
Tim

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

Thanks guys!

Tony I may be looking for you when I get into lithos ;)

My wife started a "wish" list that just keeps growing. I can't complain though, she lets me buy what I want, is very supportive and always picks out more wood for good measure. She says "I'm sure you can make something out of it" :lol:
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Nice job!! Good looking..

You should drop the apostrophe next time.. Craig's (what)...

Cheers, M

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I did that too and was corrected by a local friend that said it was incorrect. (I ain't got really good English) I always thought that it was a plaque showing possession as in The Craig's ... meaning the Craig's mantle or the Craig's house. I'm not challenging it just not knowledgeable..... however I do know that it becomes right when the customer orders it that way. Ha Ha Ha But I am trying to learn and have stopped putting the apostrophe. :)

Roger

BTW, it is an awesome looking piece. Go ahead and post the website. Its done commonly here when helping others find items. (Guess it might be different if you were trying to sell something on here)
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

I thought about the apostrophe and then remembered Mrs. Benjamin my 9th grade English teacher back in the 70's. She must have been 80yrs old and I hated her class. While it may not be grammatically correct it's widely accepted (because most people just don't know) to use it as in signifying the plaque or the home is ours :D Heck I waited until I grageeated to find out what a prepositional pronoun was :lol:
Del

Thescotsone

Post by Thescotsone »

Hi. That is a great looking piece of work. Can you tell me how long it took you to make this from start to finish.
I am currently planning on buying a CNC router for my father as a way to keep himself busy and maybee make a few extra pounds and the Shark looks perfect for this.
Again thats one of the best pieces i have seen on this sight.
Paul

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

Thanks for the compliments. I'm still a newbie at this and I'm learning from the rest of the group here.

The center section is 23" x 2-7/8" and overall it's 29-1/2" long. That's as close as I wanted to make it considering the machine will only cut a little over 24". I thought that was a good fit for this piece. If I remember correctly the finish cut alone took about 9hrs. mainly because I used a 1/16" tapered ball end mill and only ran about 30%. I didn't want to do this more than once and wanted all the detail I could get. The scroll work and name didn't take much time at all.
It took a good day considering playing with different scroll designs and manipulating them along with the name.

I used Cut3D and the one thing I don't like is I can't control the size of X,Y or Z independently even if I unlock XYZ ratio. The size of your piece of wood dictates the size of the image and I'd like to widen some of these up just a little. You have to carve these mantle scenes on long and thick pieces to get any real detail, at least with the bits I'm using. I don't believe there's any way to tile this to make it any longer either.
If I'm missing something here someone please chime in.
Del

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I may be speaking with a huge lack of experience, and sometimes I think I have just enough experience to be dangerous. But if I'm not mistaken you can make your 3d pattern what ever size you want it in Cut3D and save it. From there you can import it into VCarve Pro and there is where you manipulate your tiling set up. When you import it as a vector file from the cut3d file that you saved, you are actually importing the tool paths (both finished and roughing) and no longer have the ability to choose the parameters such as size and depth etc. The only thing you can do once you get it into VCarve is to move it around on the project. I haven't cut a lot of 3d work but what little I have done has all been designed (or actually just sized) in Cut3d then imported into VCarve where I have the whole project with the engraving and cut out etc. When you begin to save your .TAP files in VCarve you select the finish vector and save it to TAP then separately save the rough vectors to a tap file just like you do with your engraving toolpaths. I have done some tiling in VCarve but I haven't had time to play with carving a large tiled 3d piece. Its going to be critical that you reposition your piece pretty accurately to keep the transition from first tile to second tile smooth and aligned. With lettering its easy... you just stop the tile in-between letters, but with 3d they are going to need to match up, so you have to slide your piece down very accurately and keep any x movement to a minimum. Maybe someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in and give some pointers. I can see where you would encounter a problem with an irregular shape such as the sliced tree piece of material. You would almost have to align and attach it to a "sled" of sorts so that it would retain its position accurately as you reposition. Just my thoughts

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com