Chamfers And Holes ...

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

McBuster

Chamfers And Holes ...

Post by McBuster »

Not a Project, but a neat routine to describe uniform chamfers on different sized holes.

I use a sixty degree bit and try to get 1/3rd up the face of the cutting edge. In the future, I will vary this a little to expose more of the edge rather than wear out a small part of it. Now, I am using the 1/2" shank Rockler bit that comes in the kit given away with the Shark Diamond. Rockler will sell these independently. #44276

Once the hole is finished, I use a Start Depth of 0.125" and a Cut Depth of 0.188". I use the 2D Profile and set the Machine Vector to "On" to trace the described inner circle.
untitled.JPG
The outer circle is 0.5759" and the inner circle is 0.3259". The difference between these, 0.2500", determines the face size of the chamfer.

No matter what the hole size is, by using this difference, the face size will be the same.

By marking the chamfer like this, it is easy to determine if all are about the same size.
IMG_1649.jpg
And the finished product.
IMG_1648.jpg
Note, the holes are not entirely round. I measured the largest one and it varies by 0.018". For my work, this does not matter, and the larger dimension pretty much lies in the same direction as it did a while back. I credit this to flex towards the Y Axis direction.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn