Other materials

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

al wolford

Other materials

Post by al wolford »

Who is using the Shark on acrylics. Can you send some examples of finished work. Are there any special considerations?

Barguy

Re: Other materials

Post by Barguy »

Just recieved my shark and don't have up n running yet but will be used only on acrylic. I have worked with acrylic for a while and when routed our manufactrer recommends carbide with 2 blade, not 4. Woul link article but can't remember where it's. Will try post pics after we make few things. If using clear you'll need to check into polishing the edges. U can sand, mapgas torch, or do others things. Try google it.

artezz

Post by artezz »

I dont have any pics to send. I am using acrylic. Im woking with 3/4 inch thick to make diffrent items, after they are carved. I use a tourch to heat them and shape them into an arch to match the contour of fender of cars. I also chrome these items. The results are remarkable. I have found that using water in a misting bottle helps with the cutting process. This keeps the heat down and stops the material from melting back together. However, you need to change the chip board base or seal it. If you dont it will fall apart and your hold down bolts will pull throw.

Bob

Post by Bob »

artezz wrote:I dont have any pics to send. I am using acrylic. Im woking with 3/4 inch thick to make diffrent items, after they are carved. I use a tourch to heat them and shape them into an arch to match the contour of fender of cars. I also chrome these items. The results are remarkable. I have found that using water in a misting bottle helps with the cutting process. This keeps the heat down and stops the material from melting back together. However, you need to change the chip board base or seal it. If you dont it will fall apart and your hold down bolts will pull throw.
In order to get a clean cut in plastic I use a 3/16" single cutting edge, up spiral, slower speed (experiment), high feed (about 200 inches per minute). This was recommended by a friend of mine who sells industrial router bits. The results have been excellent with lots of chips and no more melted plastic, and I get nice clean edges.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Barguy

Post by Barguy »

Now that I have finally completed some basic projects with acrylic, I have been using double fluted carbide tipped stuff. I plan to spend some money and get some stuff this week or next though. I saw today that Amana actually makes some pretty good looking carbide bits. I plan to get both a double and single flute for different cutting. Check out the amana stuff if you get a chance. I also use one of their 10'' table blades for acrylic with great results.

We don't usually work with 3/4 though. Typically, were cutting inbetween 1/2'' and 1/8. One thing I have noticed with table cutting is keeping the blade just above the edge of material heavily reduces chipping on thin stuff if that ever helps anyone.

I have noticed some chipping in the 1/8'' peaces I have sharked out, but I blame this to my current level of software knowledge. Still adjusting stuff, probing, learning what that does etc...

I would really love to see some photos of your stuff. Im interested in seeing how the flame does. What type of torch do you use?

Layne

Post by Layne »

I cut acrylic for a living on my axyz 11hp vaccum bed CNC. Im just in the process of setting up a shark pro for a customer of mine so I have yet to try acrylic on the little machine but on my big one I run it all day at 100 inches a minute, 18 000 RPM with a 3/16 cutter. Use a single carbide upcut spiral for good chip extraction and less chip welding. Generally as a rule of thumb I will go as deep as my bit is wide. Havent tried it on the small one but I will be soon.

Cheers

Layne

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Layne wrote:I cut acrylic for a living on my axyz 11hp vaccum bed CNC. Im just in the process of setting up a shark pro for a customer of mine so I have yet to try acrylic on the little machine but on my big one I run it all day at 100 inches a minute, 18 000 RPM with a 3/16 cutter. Use a single carbide upcut spiral for good chip extraction and less chip welding. Generally as a rule of thumb I will go as deep as my bit is wide. Havent tried it on the small one but I will be soon.

Cheers

Layne
Layne,

Nice job on those, like you, I want to do acrylic also.
I notice it appears that you leave the protective plastic on the piece as you cut it, is that what I am seeing?
To me that would seem to make it harder to remove all of the small protective plastic, but you'd know more than me, I've never done it yet. heh

Also, is there any tips that you could (please) give us on things to watch out for, or, anything pertaining to routing plastics?

Thanks Layne, and to the OP, I hope you don't mind me asking, I figure it'd help us all... :)

Randy

Michael Rytter

Post by Michael Rytter »

We just rec'd our Pro Plus. (Haven't set it up yet). We are going to be doing stabilized wood (wood impregnated with acrylic). Will let you all know how that turns out!

Mike