Wooden Gear Clock by Bob Hartig, Sheboygan, WI

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KimAdams

Wooden Gear Clock by Bob Hartig, Sheboygan, WI

Post by KimAdams »

From Bob's review of the CNC Shark on Rockler.com:
"I continue to have fun with this machine. Instead of writing a thousand word review, I'm sending this picture of my latest CNC project. All parts were cut on the Shark." (Read entire review)
Wooden Gear Clock, Bob Hartig
Wooden Gear Clock, Bob Hartig

bobhess

Re: Wooden Gear Clock by Bob Hartig, Sheboygan, WI

Post by bobhess »

i have the plans for this clock but don't know how to get them into V Carve Pro
any help would be nice.

KimAdams

Post by KimAdams »

I'll try contacting the guy who made it. I'll keep you posted!
Kim

Bob

Post by Bob »

bobhess wrote:i have the plans for this clock but don't know how to get them into V Carve Pro
any help would be nice.
OK Bob,
It's easy:
The method I used was to scan a picture, import the picture into the vcarve program, carefully draw/trace one gear, copy that one tooth into a circular array multiplied by the amount of teeth needed, then watch in amazement as the gear is drawn for you. Then create a cutting path using the drawing you just generated. Run the simulation cut and watch in more amazement.
I just got back from a trip to the north woods and am kind of tired so this description is just about useless. Contact me and I will fill in the details.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

FredJuergens

Post by FredJuergens »

Hello, Bob

I'm a member of a woodworking club in Evansville, WI. We're considering buying a CNC Shark Pro. Its first purpose will be to engrave as many as 400 small wooden plaques with the names of donors to a planned Community Center that will be built here. We're trying to learn as much as we can about the machine's capabilities before we plunk down the money.

I've seen the Rockler videos on YouTube showing the "Welcome" sign, and it appears to be pretty large. I'm wondering if you know minimum dimensions of wood blanks that can be held in the machine. Also a minimum height for engraved letters, using a narrow-point router bit. I suppose I could be asking these questions in another thread on this forum, and I probably will, but your help will be most welcome.

Is there any chance that some members of our club might be able to visit you at a mutually convenient time and see your machine in operation?

Bob

Post by Bob »

FredJuergens wrote:Hello, Bob

I'm a member of a woodworking club in Evansville, WI. We're considering buying a CNC Shark Pro. Its first purpose will be to engrave as many as 400 small wooden plaques with the names of donors to a planned Community Center that will be built here. We're trying to learn as much as we can about the machine's capabilities before we plunk down the money.

I've seen the Rockler videos on YouTube showing the "Welcome" sign, and it appears to be pretty large. I'm wondering if you know minimum dimensions of wood blanks that can be held in the machine. Also a minimum height for engraved letters, using a narrow-point router bit. I suppose I could be asking these questions in another thread on this forum, and I probably will, but your help will be most welcome.

Is there any chance that some members of our club might be able to visit you at a mutually convenient time and see your machine in operation?
I have the cnc shark not the pro. Go to http://www.cncshark.com/home.aspx and size questions should be answered there. The maximum area that can be engraved at one time on my machine is 13" wide by 24 3/4" long. Keep in mind that this is engraving area. The actual workpiece blank that can be mounted on mine is 18 1/2" wide by almost any length depending on how much room you have outside of the machine. There are ways to cope with these limitations if you need to go bigger. For example: When I wanted to engrave a protractor scale on my saw sled, it was too big to fit within the machine. My solution was to engrave the scale seperately on 1/8' melamine then mount it within a routed arc on the saw sled. As for minimum letter height, if your table is properly tuned, you can lightly trace letters that are only a few thousandts of an inch high, or deep. A simple way to level a work surface would be to clamp a smaller table to the main one and use the shark to mill a flat surface on it before mounting your blank to that.

At 150 square feet, my shop can handle 2 visitors at a time. Send me your skinniest members.
Bob
"Focus"

FredJuergens

Post by FredJuergens »

Thanks for your informative reply, Bob. I've been away from my computer for a while, so I didn't send my thanks earlier. It appears you're willing to have a couple of skinny guys visit you sometime. I'm going to mention this at our next club meeting (Next Monday 8/23) to ascertain the members' interest in taking a road trip. I'll let you know the results, and if there's interest, I'll be in touch to try to arrange a mutually convenient time.

Woodspinner, who's on this forum, posted a note that you may have seen, about what text engravings from the Shark look like. He has a picture there of what I consider to be very small engraving. It's a distinct pleasure to find others so willing to help newbies to the Shark to get questions answered.

Bob

Post by Bob »

I'll use PM to plan out details of a visit. I doubt if the Shark community would be too interested.
"Focus"

burke

Post by burke »

where do you get the plans for the wooden gear clocl?,does anyone know?
Its a good job
Thanks
burke

Bob

Post by Bob »

Yup, Go to this adress:
http://blog.dugnorth.com/2009/05/big-bo ... jects.html
I used the plan from this book to make the clock. There are no shortcuts however, I had to scan and then draw the parts using the vectric cad program. It was easy after the first gear. I just needed to draw one tooth then multiply it around a circular array to draw the complete gear.
I can give more details if you want. Just ask.
Building the clock was easy. Adjusting it took time.
Bob
Note: The rest of the clocks in this book are not wooden gear clocks. The patterns I used were worth the price of the book though.
"Focus"