Seahorse Corbels - Project of the Month JULY 2012

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mtylerfl

Seahorse Corbels - Project of the Month JULY 2012

Post by mtylerfl »

Hello,

Here is the July 2012 project I created for owners of Aspire 3.5 (and future higher versions). It is a FREE download, courtesy of Vectric!

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... orbel.html

This project features a Seahorse and Coral motif with a pierced-carve background. Each corbel consists of two halves that are glued together, then glued to an “L” frame to complete the assembly.

The corbels can be glued or fastened to a shelf for mounting on a wall (they will accommodate shelf depths of 8 to 12 inches), or used as a decorative accent for upright posts and the like. The method of mounting the corbels can vary - I used a metal key hole/screw fixture recessed in a mortise on the backside of each of the samples you see here. Feel free to make modifications to suit your particular mounting preferences and requirements. Each corbel measures about 8" deep x 11" tall x 2¾" wide.

• I created the design/layout using Vectric's Aspire 3.5 software.

• I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used. However, I tend to set the toolpath speed/feed rates with Shark owners in mind. You can make changes to suit your particular Shark model, bits, etc. if necessary.

I used the following bits...

Roughing, Pockets, and Profiles
1/4" down-spiral End Mill

Pierced Pockets
1/8" End Mill

Finishing
1/8" Ball Nose

Apply your choice of finish. I had originally planned to apply an antique metallic finish to my corbel samples, but decided to wait a few days before my final verdict!

Here’s what I used (so far) on the Seahorse Corbels made from Select Pine:

• Two coats of thinned Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
(50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat

• Two coats full-strength Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat

• Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss
Attachments
Completed_Corbels_750x627.png
Side_View_single-corbel_583x750.png
Top_View-Completed_Corbels_750x836.png