First 3D cut

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KarenW

First 3D cut

Post by KarenW »

OK, we're slow on the pickup that we're just now starting 3D.
Or maybe we just had such a long list of VCarve things to work through first - either way, here's #1.
Must admit I swam around Cut3D for awhile, taking my best guess at some of the settings but think I've got the basic concept of it.
Fascinating to watch but the dust boot is a near necessity.

Anyway - 12x12 maple, lightly glazed, 4 coats of lacquer and it ships out Tuesday.
Attachments
032.JPG
Karen

tonydude

Re: First 3D cut

Post by tonydude »

Karen,

Very nice, like your finish. Looking forward to seeing more. How long did it take to carve?

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

geraldjohs

Post by geraldjohs »

That is NICE!! How long did the carving take?

Gerald

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Roughing was about 45 minutes, finishing pass was about 3 hours but we ran a second finish pass cutting the stepover rate and increasing the feed rate. Took about 90 minutes or so to run that one.
So it took longer than it should but learning the new settings accounted for that.
I've got the next one programmed and ready to go with a total cut time of a bit over 2 hours.

I can tell you that Wade was FASCINATED and watched nearly all of it. :lol:
Karen

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

Karen,
That's awesome!
Great finish & design.
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

BillK

Post by BillK »

Karen,

That came out great!

Just curious, now that you produced a 3D piece after approx 5 hours of carving, do you still feel $10/hr is a good rate for CNC time?
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Yes - because this was the first one and it was a learning experience.
Now that I've played with it and know the settings that can be adjusted my cut time will be less on the next one.
Besides, while this one was cutting I was on the other side of the shop finishing up 4 other pieces and Wade was sizing lumber (when he wasn't watching :lol: )
So that 5 hours this was cutting produced work that had an out-of-pocket cost of $31 but a net profit of $314.
Karen