Second verse, same as the first...

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KarenW

Second verse, same as the first...

Post by KarenW »

but this time in native wild cherry and walnut.
There's only 1 coat of lacquer on this so the beauty of the wild cherry doesn't come through but I'll take this out to my finish shop tomorrow and get 3 good coats on it.
Attachments
001.JPG
Karen

rsetina

Re: Second verse, same as the first...

Post by rsetina »

Looks nice even with just one coat. How did you get the dark lettering to come out so nice? I make some box lids that need that kind of finish so the image will stand out like that. Are you willing to share how you get it to look so nice?
Rick

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Hi Rick - simple process really. I sand my piece to finish grit, usually 320. Then give it 2 coats of lacquer and allow it to dry thoroughly. Then I cover it with a mask of contact paper, mark my center and do the cut.
Then I spray it with Marsh's Stencil Ink http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5 ... 7Aode1sApQ
give it a few minutes to dry, peel the contact paper (don't forget the small bits in the centers of letters) sand it again and proceed with the final finish process. Sometimes there's a slight residue left from the contact paper - easily taken care of with a single edged razor blade held at an angle.
The stencil ink dries fast enough that spidering into the surrounding wood usually isn't a problem but that's why I prefinish first as insurance.
Last edited by KarenW on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

Thank you Karen. One of the guys at Rockler in Pasadena, CA was going to try that method. I'll let him know it works. Is there a particular brand of contact paper you found works best?
Rick

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

No clue what brand it is -- just whatever I find when I think to pick some up.
In a pinch I've used strips of wide masking tape but prefer the contact paper.
Karen

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Here is another place to get stencil ink from. http://www.traceypackaging.com/catalog. ... prevnext=1

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Tony - is this what you use?
I like the idea of a few colors but don't want to buy a case at a time.
I get my ink from Uline because I order several other business things from them, too.
Karen

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Karen,

That is what I use and also they come in individual cans http://www.traceypackaging.com/catalog. ... prevnext=1

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

gordread

Post by gordread »

Hey guys,

You may want to try putting a single coat of finish on prior to spraying the letters, that will completely eliminate any spider webbing. I use this method, and am able to use an airbrush with acrylic paints, lots of colors to choose from.

Gordon

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Hey Gordon - there are times I'll shoot a coat of finish before staining or painting, usually in any of the cedars, cypress or pine.
Did that also before inking some bamboo but that wasn't necessary (I found out later).
Good tip though.
Karen