Amish towel holder

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Keith Hodges

Amish towel holder

Post by Keith Hodges »

Was visiting an Amish furniture store recently, and saw some of these. So couldn't wait to try a few. Theirs a slot in the bottom piece which holds a marble. The marble wedges the towel in place as long as weight is applied downward. You remove the towel by pulling it sideways. About a 30 minute project, minus dry time for the finish. Fun and practical.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

tonydude

Re: Amish towel holder

Post by tonydude »

Keith,

Did you just glue the two pieces together? Nice project.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Yes, just glue. The one I bought was glued and brads. Don't think it really need brads, but easily enough to add if needed.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

Penman

Post by Penman »

Hi Keith,

love the idea and feel that I would like to make one,so a couple of questions if you don't mind.
What are the rough overall dimensions?
I presume the boards are about 3/4" thick. Have they got a flat at the top of the base and then tapered down?
What is the rough size of the tapered slot?

Thanking you for your consideration.

Cheers,
Roger.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Thanks Penman. If you'll PM me with your email address, I'll send you the file, plus pictures of the jig I made to cut the sloped groove where the marble resides. It's a very quick and easy project, plus useful around the house. Any simple v carve drawing dresses them up also. Both pieces are 3/4 inch and deminsions are 4 1/4 x 3 inches. The top piece has a portion cut down to about 1/2 inch thick, to allow the towel to be slipped between the two, so the marble wedges the towel in place. Keith

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Here's a picture showing the side of the top piece.
Attachments
image.jpg

Penman

Post by Penman »

Hi Keith,

thanks for the kind offer. PM sent.

Roger.