Very little V-carving...

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KarenW

Re: Very little V-carving...

Post by KarenW »

I know, right?
TONS of things to choose from there but it's a great place when you're hunting "just the right one" for a job.
:)
Karen

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

On the subject of fitting fonts to a project. I have shared one of these pictures some time ago I think, but the idea is to have a sample board that serves several purposes. It helps you as a designer to select a font (by their font name as they are stored on your computer) but also helps working with a customer to choose a font or see what it will look like. It also gives a chance to showcase various other things like material colors, edge treatments etc. These are made in Corian because I use a fair amount of Corian for projects. If you do something like this be sure to make the fonts large enough you get the whole effect of the font but also get a good quality of carve. Corian with its sharp carving detail helps to make this easier at a smaller size, but many woods do just as well. It makes life easier when designing if you have a good repertoire of fonts at hand or at least know how to get find them quickly. At hand and on the computer and ready to use is better. Anyway, just some ideas for thought. Always remember you are "designers" and "artist" and that wood (OR acrylic OR Corian) is merely the medium that you work in.

BTW, I have about 50 times this quantity of font but these are the ones I like to use and that I have tested to carve well and use about 95% of the time so I like to keep them handy to be able to grab them from the long list of fonts available. Not all fonts carve well and some you have to put a "bias" on and carve at say .005" or .010" start depth to get them to carve well. This is also a good way to discover this and know ahead a time to compensate and how much.

PS Karen, when you mentioned the quilting theme, I thought of the font named "Goodbye Crewel World" on my font board.

Roger
Attachments
SH100001.JPG
SH100002.JPG
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I did the same thing early on - picking out my favorites and a few others (like 30 or 40, lol) and carving them just like a regular project.
You won't believe it but a friend (she's a graphic artist) stopped by the shop and saw my font boards and immediately wanted them.
"Are they for sale?"
"Absolutely"
And I wrapped them up in brown paper and gladly took her check.
Haven't re-cut it yet but I probably should. On occasion I will get surprised by a font that looks great on the screen but needs some tweaking in real life.

Nice on the Corian, though... I like it.
Karen