Very little V-carving...

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KarenW

Very little V-carving...

Post by KarenW »

but lots of sawdust!
And yes, more funeral stuff. :shock:
Thirteen names took a total of 14 minutes to program, 29 minutes to cut but the rest of it filled up most of a day.
Anyway - for a pet cemetery.
I don't think I'd be in line for adoption to this house if I were a puppy.
:?
(lol)

Plus the beginnings of what was supposed to be a signpost for our newly renovated back patio but these are spoken for already with several more folks wanting a set. There are 11 or 12 different destinations that I've done but some of these others are coming up with their own. Great thing about these -- easy programming with downloaded fonts, scrap wood, same X/Y, and nothing has to be perfect. Looks like a rainy day project when there's nothing else on the list of must-do.

(edited for a better photo)
Attachments
019.JPG
pet markers.jpg
Karen

Keith Hodges

Re: Very little V-carving...

Post by Keith Hodges »

Nice job Karen. Really like the signs. Are the crosses all for the same family? If so you might be on to a serial killer. :D
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Very nice Karen.Is it a paying Job?Alot of work went into them.Basecircle

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Keith - I said the same thing to the guy (about being hard on pets) and he said this was over a 30 yr period so I guess that's not all that bad.
Still... :shock:

Basecircle -- yes. Both paying jobs. The crosses were ordered. The signs for the sign post were accidental - I was doing this for my own patio but several people saw a picture on my FB account and asked if they could get some. Funny, just about everybody wanted a Hogwarts and Diagon Alley but it took off from there. I've now got a list of different fictional destinations that people have come up with. It's sorta fun finding just the right font for them. Doesn't hurt my feelings to be plugging away at the scrap pile and getting paid for it either. :D
Karen

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Very creative Karen.I like the different fonts.And the colors.Looks good keep cutting them out.Basecircle

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Karen,
Nice work. Finally I have found someone with the same opinion about fonts that I have. I have always believed that in any kind of graphics the project has just the right font that fits and sets it off. Don't use the right font and its just another carving. Find the right font and the project becomes exceptional. Same way with the way the font is applied to the job... if the job curves the lettering should also. I always tell people that the font should speak up and tell you that it fits..... but then they start looking at me the same way people look at me when I tell them that I "listen to my cemetery". LOL You don't have to be crazy to get along with me... but it helps.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Oh Roger, we could make a lot of sawdust together. :lol:
Yes I do think the choice of font is crucial in some things. It simply has to fit the project or it's just text. It serves the purpose but doesn't bind the piece together.
One of several projects in the works right now is something for a lady whose passion is quilting and I spent a lot of time finding a font that conveyed quilting and sewing. It add time to the cut but it certainly helps with nailing the theme.
Application is crucial! It's always made me grit my teeth when I see someone wrapping text on a curve but using an italic font. Minor thing? Yes, but make it work FOR you rather than against you -- the money (and satisfaction!) is in the detail!
Karen

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

Hi Karen
I totally agree.
Care to share the name of the font?
Cheers
Wolffie

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

The quilting font?
It's called Needlework Good and can be found here: http://www.dafont.com/needlework-good.font
Karen

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

tHANKS kAREN
Thanks Karen
My eyes are still spinning from looking at some of those wacky fonts :D
Cheers
Wolffie