My new shark tank

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Keith Hodges

My new shark tank

Post by Keith Hodges »

Finally, after all this time, finally broke away from my carving and built my tank. It's a little larger than the pictures I've seen on here, but like being able to clean and lube without a lot of effort. I put a large slot across the back, built a v shaped box underneath to collect the dust, and that's where I installed the vacuum hose. The exhaust port on my shop vac is connected to a 2 inch PVC pipe, which winds its way up into the tank, and is jetted through two 1/2" pipes, blowing air onto the carving area, blowing the dust back toward the vacuum slot. Reducing the air flow from 2 inches to 1/2 inch causes a very strong flow of air blowing across the carving area, but I'm thinking it may be too much of a reduction, causing too much load on the shop vac. I carved a small v carved photo in Cherry as a test. There was no saw dust found inside the shark tank, which is great, but the air was beginning to get hot, causing my router to get hot. I think tomorrow Ill increase the 1/2" exhaust back up to 1 1/2 inches, to give the shop vac a break, and see if the airflow is still sufficient to clear the carving area. The reduction in router noise is offset by the noise of the shop vac, but still quieter than it was. I'll let you know how the 1 1/2" jet works, hopefully strong enough, but with no heating issues.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

KarenW

Re: My new shark tank

Post by KarenW »

Oooh how I wish we had built just a bit bigger!
And put in a plexi back wall. :)

Just like you, we had to play with the air in the tank - first time we turned it on the DC about sucked the plexi out of the frames so we had to cut some 1.5" holes to relieve the vacuum. The overall suction was tremendous but did squat for taking out dust. Week later we re-worked the DC system and it's a beauty now. Nearly non-existent dust when using the boot.
Looks good Keith.

BTW... am I the only one who sees your photos sideways??
Karen

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I like the design of using the shop vac exhaust to blow dust inside the case. It will help keep what fine dust gets past your filter, circulating through the system rather than in the garage for you to breath. I wonder how much heat is in that recirculated air. I know that the air coming out of my shopvac is pretty warm. You are circulating the heat from your router and the shopvac back through without letting it cool down. Maybe connecting a piece of pipe for the exhaust from the vac to form a venturi effect and suck some cooler air in with it or mount a couple of small fans in the top of the box to get fresh air into the system.

Besides the obvious noise and dust reduction I think you will be breathing better in your shop now with your set up. Good job

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

I think the photos are always sideways when I post using my iPhone. Seems ok when I use my laptop. I do everything with my phone, so it's hard making the change. I put acrylic from Lowes in all my openings, including the top and the back, and glad I did, lets lots of light in, and with the height, makes it easy to lean in and take care of things. The front and back doors are so big that they won't go all the way on top of the walls, making it very easy to bang your head. Ask me how I know. ;0). Bout 5 times. I usually accuse people doing that as being a slow learner!
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

Nice Shark Tank!
Send pictures from phone to main computer then uploading from there should solve sideways problem.
What's your tank dimensions?
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Eric, your exactly right, by sending the pics to the computer. And, that's exactly why I haven't, too much trouble. But, since its a known problem, guess I'll start doing it. It's just so darned conveinant to do everything from my phone. I'll get the measurements when I get out of bed and go to the shop. Gonna try something about the heat. Based on me opening the front door and it cooled down, and Milo advising about creating a Venturi to suck cooler air into the circulated warm air, I'm going to put a couple small blocks under the front door, holding it up a couple inches, letting cooler outside air to be sucked in. Hope it works to avoid another trip to the plumbing store.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

As promised, the measurements are 45 x 45 x 37 inches high. I cut a couple of 1 inch blocks and placed them under the front door, allowing more air flow into the tank. Heating wasn't as bad, but still pretty warm. Gonna try a little more air flow tomorrow. Dust control is really good, so just the cooling to take care of.

maxxxpower1000

Post by maxxxpower1000 »

Your shark tank looks great! I really like dust control. I am building my tank and was having the same heat troubles, what saves me is that I used clear corrugated polycarbonate instead of flat plexiglass. The corrugated has gaps every inch or so, when I hook the vac up it draws in cold air through the gaps. Things cool down in a hurry. I'm still working on the air nozzles to move the dust to the back, still have a ways to go though. How about pics of the duct collector box. Here's a couple of pics of my tank, unfinished but being used.
IMAG0425.jpg
IMAG0426.jpg

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Some photos of my dust collection box. It's just a V shaped box. The V helps the dust slide down, and towards the vac hose. You'll notice the sawdust on the table. This is all there was left after carving 4 v carved photos. Not bad at all.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

maxxxpower1000

Post by maxxxpower1000 »

That is a very good idea, going to have to work that into my own plans................