Acrylic Cross and Last Supper on Parchment

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Chiefmedic

Acrylic Cross and Last Supper on Parchment

Post by Chiefmedic »

A BIG "Thank You" to Mark J. in Arizona for helping me with the Acrylic Cross. I have given the Cross and a carving of the Last Supper, which I named The Last Supper on Parchment, to the Church that I attend. They were to be raffled off this past weekend, at the Parish Festival to help offset the Operating Debt.

The Last Supper on Parchment was done on a piece of Ash 10.75"h X 21.75"w X 4/4"t.
To make the Torn Edges on the Last Supper Component, using Aspire, I made small triangular vectors of different sizes and the by using the "Clear Area of Selected Component, Inside Selected Vectors" tab in the Modeling Section I was able to remove sections from the "Last Supper Component".
I did the Left Scroll with out handles, due to the project size, from the "Scroll Tutorial Project". Using the Node Editing mode in Aspire, I changed the Shape of the Scroll to what I liked, copied it and moved it in the same position Horizontally on the work surface. I then flipped the Right Scroll, so that both Upper Portions of the Scrolls pointed Outward.
To make the Last Supper Component match the curve in the walls or middle sections of the Scrolls, I placed a Vector around the Scroll's, offset it, and the removed the portions of the Last Supper Component as I did above, using the "Clear Area of Selected Component, Inside Selected Vectors".
The "Bible Passage Luke 22: 15-16" was added using the "Project Tool Path onto 3D Model"

Cutting Times were as follows ( Approximately ):
3D Roughing: Using a 0.25" End Mill - 01:03:25,
3D Finishing: Using a 0.125" Tapered Ball Nose - 08:49:39,
Rest Machining: Using a 0.0625" Tapered Ball Nose - 06:47:25,

I know that the machining really took some time, but the "Rest Machining" added quite a bit of detail to the figurines and table.
I did a Dark Stain around the outside edges of the "Scroll-Last Supper" component, and then I used the Glazing effect on the figures and the table, as described in Tim Merrill's article on "Glazing". I only did a "Second Glaze" as the piece was getting too dark.

Dave
Attachments
Acrylic Cross
Acrylic Cross
Last Supper on Parchment
Last Supper on Parchment

tonydude

Re: Acrylic Cross and Last Supper on Parchment

Post by tonydude »

Excellent piece of work. Thanks for all the info on it.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

Dave, Really like the last supper!
Great detail.
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

drueth

Post by drueth »

Chiefmedic

The cross is great and the lighting really looks good. BUT the Last Supper is a grand slam. I really wish you could post a better pic of the Last Supper
thanks for the post
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

ttolli

Post by ttolli »

How did you get the dark outline around the cross, Pleease. LOL. Very nice indeed!!!!
Tim

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Beautiful piece and total success with the scroll edges.
w0w
Karen