Which way to Duloc?

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KarenW

Re: Which way to Duloc?

Post by KarenW »

Hi Joe - and thanks.
In this case the majority of the painting was done with a small brush and acrylic craft paint. I haven't yet found that vibrant color in a spray can. Doesn't take long since it's masked off first though. I did spray the wreath and the '1' in gold which doesn't show well in the picture.
Karen

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Karen,

Excellent work, but then I would be disappointed if it wasn't. We have come to expect excellence in everything you do. Just wondering if the American Legion graphics is something that can be shared. We have a new American Legion starting up here and thought I might do something like that for them if I could get the pattern.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Thank Roger.. you made my day. :D
Attaching the Legion medallion that is the center of the patch.
I'll check with the chapter president to ask if he has a problem with their patch being put out as a file. I don't know if they're proprietary with that or not.
I sorta doubt it but better to check first than risk the hot water later, ya know?
Attachments
American Legion badge.crv
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 234 times
Karen

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Karen,

The medallion in the center was actually what I wanted mainly. I hate to be a pain, but I don't have vCarve 7.0 :( does it have a way to save to an older version like 6.5? I was putting off upgrading hoping I could just go to Aspire. I may have to go ahead and upgrade. I have had several things that I have missed out on by not having 7..0

Roger

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

Roger,

I also have VCarve Pro 6.5 but don't use it since I've upgraded.
I opened it with Aspire and saved it as an EPS file. Hope this works for you. I know I can open it with VCarve Pro now as well as Aspire.
Attachments
American Legion badge.eps
(65.18 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

If the file ohiococonut posted doesn't work for you then you can get the logo here http://www.logotypes101.com/free_vector ... can_legion
and let VCP 6.5 set the vectors. It's how I do most all my graphic work.
If not, I'll do it up in 6.5 and post it... shouldn't take but a couple minutes to do. I don't recall a lot of node editing to it.

BTW, I think I'm highly jealous that you're getting Aspire. :shock:
Karen

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

That worked, thanks Ohiococonut. And thanks Karen for the website, that's an awesome website to have in the toolbox. Lot of stuff and in the forms ready to use with Vectric programs. Btw, that flag and eagle are pretty awesome additions to the logo. Let me know what they decide on sharing it. If it is something they had done for their chapter and want to keep it distinctive to their unit, I understand (ha ha but pass along that its an awesome design) I know when someone makes an effort to embellish a logo like they may not want other units to copy it. I can just put some scroll work around the basic logo and they will be tickled with it I'm sure.

You gotta know that people like what you do when they want to copy it! :) even if they don't say it.

Roger

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Glad ohiococonut's file worked!

And for anyone searching for graphics that will work, try adding the word "vector" to your search phrase such as "american legion logo vector" or "tree vector" or "horse head vector".
I've found my most usable things by adding that one little word.

The rider's head guy wasn't crazy about their patch being put out there as a usable file after I explained what that meant.
Sorry.
But hey, you know how those old guys are, right?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Karen

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Karen,
That's very understandable. And if I took the something like the basic medallion and made it "mine" by adding a lot of uniqueness, I wouldn't want it out there everywhere either. But it is an awesome compilation and it never hurts to ask. Speaking of asking... if anyone has a million dollars that they would like to donate to an old retired carver to further his craft I think I can hook you up... ha ha ha. All joking aside, some of what makes a design as good as it is, is the fact that not everyone can have it. "One of a kind" status looses its appeal once it becomes mass produced. I'll set about to create a unique one of my own. They will likely think it is awesome.... I just gotta keep them from seeing that one! LOL Thanks for asking though. Keep up the good work!

Roger

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Oh I agree -- the patch is unique to their riding club and this particular Legion which has the distinction of being a Retired Legion so I can see why they'd be protective of it.
Still.. easy enough to design something totally new with the medallion in the center - that's a great start all by itself.
Karen