American Legion Experience

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Eagle55

American Legion Experience

Post by Eagle55 »

Inspired by a carving that Karen did on an American Legion piece a while back along with the revitalization of the local post, I made this 2' x 2' sign for them as a donation, yes, complete with advertising for "Eaglecarver" at the bottom. Learned a lot from the process. I didn't realize it but was made aware by the post that the American Legion logo is a "registered service mark" with the US Trademark Office and they have total "legal" control over how and where it is reproduced and in what manner. I made the sign for the local Post and then got into a series of desk name plates with the various post and department titles. With the help of the post who actually made the request we got permission from the American Legion National headquarters to reproduce the trademark in this manner for 15 copies of the desk name plate (with assorted position titles). I'm sure that a lot of people (just like me) doesn't have as healthy respect for trademarks and copyrighted logo as they should but it is always something to consider. Its one think to make a Budwiser sign for your "man cave" but it quite another when you begin to make it for others and sell it publicly. Not trying to be a wet blanket and like I say I am just as likely as the next to violate copyrights but it is a consideration that you need to think about when making stuff for sale.

That being said, sign was carved on Corian using vector artwork, modified and adjusted for carving, then painted with acrylic enamel (in this case). Picture was taken early on prior to some touch up of the paint for final delivery. As always, I use the dob and squeegee method of painting, then come back and either sand with 320 grit or buff with a extra fine buffing pad on an orbital sander to remove and polish the surface of the Corian.

Roger
Attachments
American Legion Sign.jpg
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Eagle55

Re: American Legion Experience

Post by Eagle55 »

After initial donation of the sign, I used the "hook them and real them in" technique and sold them a series of "name placards" or desk name plates that were used in an initiation ceremony recently. After requesting and obtaining National Headquarters permission to do so, they were made, used and had a preview among various state level position, with potential for multiple follow up orders. (enough to scare me regarding my available supply of that color of Corian)

Name plate made on DuPont Corian, Lettering painted with my standard black oil based enamel, and seal hand painted (painfully due to size) with small pencil brush under a magnifier (while sitting in my easy chair under the influence of Netflix) then sanded once thoroughly dry to sharpen up the details and remove the over paint. Base is reclaimed Brazilian Teak flooring planed to .5" and slot cut at 10 degrees to give the plate its slight tilt. Eaglecarver stamp engraved on bottom, felt feet to provide stable non-marring stance. (natural finish on the wood, clear satin Spar Varnish... no stain)

Roger
Attachments
SH100030.JPG
SH100031.JPG
SH100033.JPG

BillK

Post by BillK »

Very nice work Roger. It's an iconic logo and everyone who does logos should remember your words.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Very nice.Nice way to do some advertising too. I'm running into the same issue with the Gov't. on some seals that I am making for employees. It is so much trouble to get approval it almost isn't worth it.....and I work for them!

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Really nice pieces Roger... that Corian is some slick stuff!

And you're absolutely right about the logo being protected.
The man I worked with on the rider's patch was the head of that organization and already had the permission to do ONE only so we were good to go. Unfortunately I had to pass on a couple other projects for the same reason.
I see SO many people doing Harley Davidson logos and NFL team logos but I'm not into losing my business so we turn down a lot of requests for things like that. So many that I had to put it right on our website that we wouldn't do any trademarked items and why. I guess it would be different if we were doing something as a gift but when money changes hands, I'm out of it.
Karen

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I would be less concerned with NFL and Harley Davidson logo because there are so many of them out there, some license to copy and many I am sure are not and its hard to sort them all out I'm sure. But the American Legion is very sensitive and even its local post members are too, so its a lot easier to "stick out like a sore thumb" when you make them. And I understand their concern in that they always want to be presented professionally and in good taste in every situation, and they appear to be willing to litigate! LOL Bottom line is I think we all should be mindful of copyrights not just because of the legal/illegal situation but because its a matter of right/wrong. Making something for yourself it pretty hard to prosecute but when you start selling it and making money, its a hands down guilty plea if they wanted to do anything. And why would you want to do it if you weren't going to make money and hopefully several times and with each time you stick up higher on the "radar" to get caught. Just some thoughts.

Roger

ttolli

Post by ttolli »

Excellent work. As far as the copyright is concerned , I feel as long as you are not mass producing or trying to make claim that it is yours, being able to do this is free promotion to the owner of the logo. If I owned McDonalds and someone did a carving or intarsia of Ronald, I would look at it like , yeah, every time someone sees this they are going to think of a McGriddle. LOL. Guess you could look at things more than one way. I actually have my license with Virginia Tech and got them by doing an intarsia of the hokie bird for my daughter's new home, just so happened that an attorney that I was remodeling for seen it and opened that door without any charge for his services. At first I thought it was a blessing then when all the paperwork started and very little sales I see now it is more of a curse. I may not renew after this year. Intarsia takes too much time and most people just want a decal for their car of a printed off picture of Lane Stadium. I even had Vector Art 3D to make all 3 models for Sharkie.
Tim