The Original Case Flipper

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

McBuster

The Original Case Flipper

Post by McBuster »

When reloading ammunition for your own use, there are four components. The bullet, powder, primer and a brass case. So many purchase "Once Fired Brass" from a variety of vendors, or pick up "Range Brass", their own or other's, from their local gun range.

Primers are tiny things, hard to handle, so a while ago, someone invented a Primer Flipper. You sprinkle your primers on a tray, wiggle it back and forth a while as each turns upside right, place a lid on and flip it over. Then pick out what you need using a special tube.

When one acquires a thousand, five thousand or even ten thousand spent cases, you will clean them and inspect them before reloading them. That consists of the Cheetos Shuffle. One or two Cheetos, pick out one case, look at it, watch the game, another Cheeto. If on has mixed calibers, then there are a series of buckets beside and in front.

Hence, the need for a Case Flipper.

The idea is described in my website. Both the About and How Does It Work sections.

Here is the 380/9mm/40sw/38spr pistol.
DSC_4060_99.jpg
And, the larger unit for 223rem rifle.
DSC_4062_99.jpg
Snapshots of How It Works.
TripTik.jpg
My website is here:

http://www.CaseFlipper.com

In the end, it was a fun project, but fraught with disappointment and alot of frustration. Mainly with dialing in the right feeds, and speeds, coupled with the brittle nature of Baltic Birch Plywood.

There has been some chatter in these parts lately of how fast etc.

**For the engraving, I use a 30 degree, 0.010" Onsrud bit at 0.025" depth. 23k rpm and 20ipm, #37-20. For the 1/2" holes, I use a 5/16" Freud endmill at 20ipm downthrust and 19k rpm, #75-104. Followed by a Freud 1/2" Double Flute Mortise Compression Spiral bit at 16k rpm and 15ipm, #77-508. Both these bits go thru the ply and into 1/8" Masonite backer board. The Chamfers are cut with a Rockler 60 degree bit at 23k rpm and 20ipm feed doing a Profile toolpath. I also bore a 1/16" hole for a drill guide for use later on my drill press, on the ends, each side. A Rockler bit 1/8" deep. 16k rpm with 7.5ipm.

To keep everything flat and coplanar to the router, I use various jigs to clamp the parts flat and secure. The area of the Jig where the plywood was clamped, was Endmill'ed flat and that made a very large difference. The Jig is always bolted down in the same place on the Bed I made.

In the area of tolerances, in the end, I found the Shark to be very repetitive. ie: If the engraving needed more depth, I clamped the part again in the jig, and redid it. Everything spot on. I also held 1/64" or better whether table saw, or Cnc.

Thanks for all the help along the way,

** The Engraving bit has been replaced by the new Rockler 60 degree bit #44276. 0.035" depth at 23k. The best bit I have found, so far, for the engraving. Works great.
Last edited by McBuster on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Eagle55

Re: The Original Case Flipper

Post by Eagle55 »

Its nice to see a well thought and well design project. I think you had us all guessing at what you were doing. LOL Turned out good and has a useful purpose. I used to load 38 special and 45 acp literally by the thousands in machines like the RCBS green machine and other progressives. With the proper handling techniques for your material you could load thousands while others with the same machine could load hundreds. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com